1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boycott Girl Scout Cookies, Because They Support Transgendered Girl?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by FleetFish, Jan 12, 2012.

1. FleetFish

Girl Scout's Call For Cookie Boycott Goes Viral. Is It Hate Speech? [VIDEO] - Yahoo! News

I'm sad to see backlash against them for supporting the transgendered, but unfortunately I'm not too surprised. :confused: However, I am happy to see that their wording includes transgendered girls!

On a bright note, we all now have a great excuse to go buy some cookies! :thumbsup: (!)

2. person54

I doubt that this hurts the the GSA very much or at least I hope it doesn't.

3. Emberstone

woah... I had to do a double take. Girl Scouts of America, Gay Straight Alliance...

Kudos to the Girl Scouts for allowing transgendered MtF girls to participate. Kudos to Girl Scouts for providing a caring, empowering enviorment for their members. Kudos to the Girl Scouts for living up to the ideals of honesty and compassion.

Shame on this girl scout for failing to know what it means to be a girl scout.

My aunt is a coordinator for her area's girl scout functions, and has been for nearly thirty years. When I was younger, if we were visiting during girl scout day camp, my mom would sometimes help (she was a boyscout camp organizer for a decade), and I was allowed to come with her. Even though I was a boy, the girls and all the adults were welcoming, and let me join in their crafts and hikes and everything.

I am completely male, and never had any inclination towards identifying as female, so I cannot speak to how this would make a transgendered girl fill, but I will tell you one thing; I never felt anywhere as accepted in boyscouts than I did on those few occasions when I was younger, and I spent a day at girl scout day camp.

I tend to buy four boxes of girl scout cookies each year, but this year, I think I will buy 6-8 instead.

It is the girls who miss out if anyone follows this ungirl scout's boycott. it should be noted that all girl scout troops are basically self-funded. The money from their fundraising sales is basically what pays for their supplies and event functions. There also are dues, but many girl scout troops emphasis fundraising so that they have more than enough money left over to pay the dues of girls whose families are on a tight budget and cannot afford the dues.

This girl in the video fails to understand what girl scouting is about, and that makes me sad.

Heck, I will buy ten boxes just to spite her lack of humanity, humility, or morality.

4. No One

I think it is really ironic (there is probably a better word to use, but oh well) that the Girl Scouts of America welcome transgender individuals, but the Boy Scouts of America are known for kicking people out who are gay or who have gay parents.

5. steel03

HELL YEAH now I have a reason to buy more Samoas!

6. FleetFish

GASP! How very.... dangerous? :lol:

I usually don't buy any, because I live alone, so I eat the whole box super quickly. :icon_redf But next time I see them, I will buy a few boxes! And perhaps give some to friends. (&&&)

I do find it crazy that Boy Scouts disallows gays, while Girl Scouts is so much more accepting. Does that show how society is harsher towards gays than lesbians? :confused: (I've heard people say this... I don't know how strongly I believe it, but perhaps.)

Boy Scouts also disallows atheists (though enforcing this rule varies from one group to the other), but I guess that's a separate issue. :eusa_doh:

7. steel03

My parents wouldn't let me do Boy Scouts when I was a kid, and now I'm real glad about that.

8. Hot Pink

My parents wouldn't let me into boy scouts, either. I'm glad for that now too. They told me that I wouldn't like it. I didn't understand why at the time, probably because I didn't know what they did. lol

Anyway, I find this boycott saddening. I know I'm biased, but I don't see what the problem is. As long as they identify as girls, why would this be an issue? Not many cisgendered boys are going to call themselves girls just to be in the Girl Scouts, only transgendered ones will. They'll be rare too, so I don't see how this changes the organization at all.