1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not even trickle of Canadian Anglicans to Catholicism (over gay blessings)

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Fintan, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Fintan

Not even trickle of Canadian Anglicans to Catholicism (over gay blessings)

2. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With the pope's and the vatican's actions over the last... well, since catholicism's inception, i can't see this as a surprise

3. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha, that's great. I remember hearing how all these Episcopalians were going to jump ship and go to the catholic church. I'm glad it was all just a bunch of bluster. Maybe it's different in the US, but probably not.

4. Fintan

Yeah it is good news. Especially when a Catholic news paper admits it.

But the Pope obviously thinks there is enough American Episcopalians and British Anglicans that are angry with the Anglican Churches increasingly liberal stance on 'Gay issues' and female clergy that he has set up ordinates in those countries...

5. zeratul

zeratul Guest

The Catholic church is just staunchly backwards on certain issues that make no sense. Female priests? Contraception? Types of instrument allowed to be played in church? Language? It's like they have no common sense.

Granted, given that their most fervent supporters are from third world countries that have a completely different mindset and set of issues from the inhabitants of the first world countries; So why bother complaining that people are not jumping on board? Their lack of attention to the needs of the people who live here in Canada logically leads to this result...

6. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that's a common trait shared with many heavily dogmatic hierarchies, if not all of them. At the very best, selective common sense perhaps

7. Fintan

Fair enough, but keeping in mind that 'common sense' is subjective and there is a reason for these differences.

The Roman Catholic Church and Eastern Orthodox Church subscribe to the belief of 'prima scriptura' while Protestants believe in 'sola scriptura'.

In simple terms; Protestants believe that doctrine (correct belief) is solely revealed by 'scripture'. So, Protestant beliefs can change according to how the 'church' interprets the Bible.

However, Roman Catholics and the Eastern Orthodox Church believe that while 'scripture' is the most important way that doctrine is revealed, doctrine can also be revealed by way of the Sacred/Holy Tradition. Essentially the idea that doctrine is a living thing and the Holy Spirit may reveal it to generations of people who live within Christ's Church.

So whereas, the Anglican/Episcopal Church might gather together its church leaders in 1930 and vote to change its stance on contraceptives based on their 'current' understanding of the Bible; the Roman Catholic Church would have to consider not just the Bible but also what generations of church doctors and scholars 'inspired by the Holy Spirit' have said on the topic.

8. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So if i gather you correctly, in theory the catholic church has the more potential to be progressive?

9. Fintan

Wow. I don't know. I think you'd need a PhD in the field to speculate with any sort of authority on this.

But I guess? If Protestants are limited to 'interpreting scripture' then they are always somehow holden to the actual words in the page. But the Roman Catholic and Orthodox churches could perhaps argue that their 'experience' of living the faith adds to the worlds on the page thus 'adjusted' their meaning?

However, in practice so far, it seems the 'experience' of the faithful seems to lags significantly behind the more liberal ebb of interpreting scripture, but not on the hard right either. It seems the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches sit somewhere between Hard Right Christian Fundamentalists and Left-Leaning Traditional Protestants (Anglican/Episcopal, Methodist, Congregationalist, Lutheran, Presbyterian etc.)

Good question.

10. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well i hope in my life time it's a potential that comes to fruition!