1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NJ governor will veto marriage bill

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by kris B, Jan 24, 2012.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sucks that he is going to veto it. It still is a big move that a bill even was introduced though. It's progress...

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    True, but the dude is still a douchebag in some way or another.

3. Emberstone

equal and due process under the law. that veto counts as unconstitutional.

4. Alexandria

Since when has that stopped them before?

5. Emberstone

we are finally getting to the point where the courts are recognizing the unconstiutionality of such measures. He can veto it if he wants, but he is only delaying inevitability.

If only he had vetoed the two large pizzas he ate for lunch.

6. Shevanel

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWIFpAWnnhU[/YOUTUBE]

7. Emberstone

let me have my fun. There is so little to joke about these days now that cracking a joke about newt gingritches love of cheating on his wives is repremanded as anti-christian bigottry, and comes with threats of being murdered in your bed, cause thats what jesus wants.

8. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know how this section constantly turns into back-and-forth bickering which quickly becomes totally irrelevant to the topic being discussed?
    You know how that's not going to happen to this thread? Thanks.

9. sguyc

I wonder if its Christies personnal stance or if he vetoed it in preparation for a presidential run.

10. Doctor Faustus

Oh for goodness' sake, wake up people! *facepalm*

11. No One

Christie has said MANY times that he isnt going to run for president. I dont think you will see him changing that stance.

I think this is small fact of a "rising star" wanting to shield himself for unflattering criticism. Not that I'm shocked.

12. Emberstone

actually, he has not ruled out running for president. he ruled out running for president in 2012.

He would not survive a presidential election. He may get the far right touching themselves inappropriatetly at the thought of him running, but he is not going to get the moderates and independents without a 180 personality change.

13. sguyc

What don't you like about his personality?

14. Tim

Tim

<3

Politicians should realize that when they do something like this, it pretty much guarantees they're not being re-elected in the next term.

15. needshelp

sad enough, i think he would win the 2016 presidential election if he ran. :icon_sad: he's preparing himself for it already. christie has a lot of supporters out here in new jersey.

16. Emberstone

Well for one thing, his brand of agressiveness is well beyond what one might consider 'passionate'. Most politicians have a 'do as I say, not as I do' complex, but he takes it to a new height of hypocracy that puts most politicians to shame, making their complexes seem tame. This is a man who says he is going to represent the will of the people of his state, but the marriage vote is one of many times in which he will go against the consensus: Poll: Majority of N.J. voters support gay marriage | NJ.com

He also has a habit of speaking what basically ammounts to verbal fecal waste, such as when he talked about how "The fact of the matter is, I think people would have been happy to have a referendum on civil rights rather than fighting and dying in the streets in the South."

They demonstrated in the south because they had to find a way to get a voice. You cant expect racist additudes to be changed unless people can see whats wrong with insitutionalized bigottry. The reason they were demonstrating was to show the contrast between non-violent protests on the part of a opressed and abused minority, and the violence that was enacted upon them for daring to stand and be heard. That changed alot of minds.

If we followed the anti-democratic society route of letting citizens vote on if other citizens are full citizens, or secound class citizens (constitution says thats unconstitutional, no right can be denied to one group that is granted to another), tack on a few more decades to the times in which inequality was deemed unlawful for various groups.

Chris Christie is a mouth peice for all that is wrong with americans politics. If only we could vote to take away the rights of bigotts... but the moment we try that, all the anti-gay/racists/sexists/xenophobic right wingers would get all butthurt, saying that we are victemizing them.