1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tim Gunn Celibate

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by cscipio, Jan 26, 2012.

1. cscipio

2. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    about 8 years!!! 16 through 23 inclusive.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I already had respect for Tim Gunn, but I recently read his book, basically a sort of a "how to be a good person" book which was filled with autobiographical information, and I came away with even more respect for him.

He talks about his celibacy in his book; apparently he was in a very committed relationship which ended badly, and he hasn't been motivated to "put himself back out there" since, and seems genuinely happy having surrounded himself with great friends and a fulfilling role in the fashion industry.

While a lot of people might not find celibacy to be a viable option, I have a lot of respect for people who have found happiness by surrounding themselves with friends and "created family" :slight_smile:

4. Hot Pink

I've never had sex. I'm going to die alone, huh?

5. maverick

I haven't had sex in about nine years. Don't miss it either. I'm a schizoid personality, so singledom and celibacy are actually my preferred conditions. People who talk about how "hard up" they are for sex boggle my mind, as I rarely even think about it. The way people obsess about romantic relationships is alien to me.

Every time I've ever been in a relationship I've been unhappy and overwhelmingly relieved when it was over - and this was not because the relationship was "bad" or anything, but because I just felt so suffocated when forced to be emotionally and physically intimate with another person. Physical intimacy and relationships make me extremely uncomfortable, no matter how much I might "like" a person.

I can also recognize and appreciate when people are sexy or beautiful (of both genders) but at the same time, I have never felt the serious desire to sleep with anyone. All of my sexual encounters have been initiated by others. Sex can be fun, but I don't understand society's obsession with it at all. I just don't think my brain is wired that way.

For me, sex has always been first and foremost an intense violation of personal space. Since my psychological makeup demands an excessive amount of privacy and personal space for whatever odd reason, celibacy is pretty much a given.

#5 maverick, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  6. Emberstone

7. Vesper

I can imagine 29 years without sex. I have gone 26 years without it, so what's another three?

Seriously, though, I really admire his attitude. It's a refreshing breath of fresh air.

8. stuwee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love Tim, he's such a great man. I need to read his book for more insight.

9. Ben

Ben

I always liked Tim Gunn. I think a lot of gay people who come out late or abstain for a long time feel that they need to catch up on what they feel they've missed. So it's great that someone with as much public respect at Tim is saying that it's okay to be celibate.