1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harper Gov't Comes Out as (Surprise!) Global Leader in Gay Rights

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Fintan, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Fintan

An article about Canada's Conservative Government on Global Gay Rights.

Harper Gov't Comes Out as (Surprise!) Global Leader in Gay Rights

2. GoogieHowser

GoogieHowser Guest

wow, what a difference their conservatives are compared to ours! lets all move to canada!

3. Katelynn

Whoa, hold on there! I will tell you right now, the Conservative Party of Canada is not all its cracked up to be. Our Conservative Party merged years ago with the Reform Party of Canada, which, for lack of a better way of putting it, was pretty much the Canadian equivalent of the Tea Party Republicans in the US. And guess who the leader of the Reform Party was? Yep, you guessed it. Stephen Harper, the current Conservative Prime Minister. As great as it is the Conservatives have stepped up on LGBT issues, the New Democratic Party of Canada (NDP) have been for LGBT rights for decades. And they are for a lot more than just that for Canadians as well, too much to go into really. Canada is a pretty good place to live, but it has its issues like anywhere else. I have never voted Conservative in any federal election, nor will I. There are a lot of reasons not to. I vote NDP now, they actually stand up for everybody, in more ways than a few. Beautiful thing about our country was we FINALLY learned that the third party off to the side of things, yep , they are an acttual viable alternative, which is why the last federal election radically changed the politcal landscape up here! Still, you should definitely come to Canada! It is, overall, a wonderfully great place!

4. GoogieHowser

GoogieHowser Guest

thanks for the clarification. but you must admit our conservatives are fairly close to nazis compared to your conservatives. jk...no im not

lets hope the ndp remains strong without jack leyton...yeah, i kinda follow canadian politics a little ha!

5. Katelynn

Jack Leyton was a HUGE loss to all Canadians...even his political opponents praised the man after his passing. Even citizens who have never & will never vote NDP thought he was a decent, honourable guy. You have to admit, as far as politicians go, that is saying quite a bit. Im not of fan of PM Harper, but one thing I respected him for doing was making sure that Leyton was given a state funeral, something that wasnt required but was certainly warranted.

As for the NDP, Leyton's legacy looms large over that party these days. Evidence they still follow Leyton's beliefs for the rights of everyone:

Randall Re-Introduces Trans Rights Bill

Leyton was supported trans rights way back in the 1980s as a Toronto city councillor, back before anyone else in govt was even supporting LGBT rights in any significant way. His influence on supporting LGBT rights has clearly rubbed off on the party, as they have consistently stated they will continue to support LGBT rights in Canada.

As for parties being compared to the Nazis, I believe the Reform Party of Canada was compared to those guys as well more than once back in the 90s. I will admit tho, conservative in Canada is a bit different than conservative in the US, there is definitely a difference. Alberta is a scary place to be sometimes tho, its sort of the Texas of Canada... lol!

6. Bradley

I am usually critical of almost everything the Conservatives do, but I am pleasantly surprised by this. I know that many Conservative MPs have personal objections to gay rights, but they are smart enough to realize that the majority of Canadians support gay rights, and that any anti-gay legislation put forward would be political suicide.

Even when the most conservative party is in power, I don't have to worry about my rights being trampled. I am so happy that I live in Canada! I have traveled to countries where homosexuality is punishable by death...It just blows my mind that places like that still exist in this day and age.

7. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Finally! Hopefully someday we will see the same thing happening all over the world. I think its bullshit that gay rights are played as a party issue in almost every single country rather than something that every person should support. Even LGBT organizations refuse to give funding to conservatives who fully support rights for the community. Its ridiculous.

Its still not perfect, but man is it much, much better than just 60 years ago!

8. Bradley

Also, John Baird is gay himself, so I would hope he would stand up for gay rights.