1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rolling Stone Article about Gay Bullying and Suicide

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by thevedman, Feb 2, 2012.

1. thevedman

2. Zontar

I sure as hell would've come out much sooner if the way American high schools handled bullying was not downright deplorable. There were times that I felt staying closeted was necessary to literally survive.

3. Curly

My heart breaks for these kids.
    Everytime something like this happens, it sends a negative message to other gay kids and even gay adults that they are wrong to be who they are. And it is so very not true.

4. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

My head is about to explode.... :frowning2:

5. b0i70y

I know I'm not really at fault when things like this happen, but I often feel guilty. My high school was amazingly open minded, and had a very effective anti-bullying policy. There were many openly gay kids who never dealt with adversity in my school.

I just wish it was like that everywhere... :tears:

Just realized that it all took place near where I live, and that makes me even more mad.

Minnesota is generally a very open minded state, especially in the Twin Cities (one of which was voted the Gayest city in America last year by the Advocate.)

It just really, really really pisses me off to know that we still have people like Bachmann here...

#5 b0i70y, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  6. GoogieHowser

GoogieHowser Guest

don't worry, hate is an endangered species of sorts.

i truly believe its harder to hate than to love. i think humans are inclined to love and it takes more energy and zaps your soul to hate (despite what Nietzsche says lol). i also think this is so because its so easy to have the tables turned and be hated for what you are, so why not cultivate an environment of love so everyone's good?

at the end of the day, its just easier to love

7. b0i70y

I just pity them, you know? To live a life full of negative emotions is a very sad existence, especially when it's hate.

8. dreamcatcher

This is heartbreaking. And what's worse is that the faculty and board members don't think that they're doing anything wrong. Sometimes I don't understand how people can be so oblivious to the pain of others.

9. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

I really pity those bigots...I can't help but hate them a little, too, though.
    My heart breaks for those kids.
    How many more suicides is it going to take for these bigots to realize they are the problem?

10. Vesper

I guessed it was Anoka, and I was right...

I can't imagine having to be a gay/lesbian/bi/trans kid in a place like Anoka, where you feel as if most people either hate your guts or don't give a crap, and no one who cares can help you. It's not hard to see how these kids can feel as if there's no way out.

I also can't imagine being a caring, LGBT-affirming teacher in that district, having to be careful not to take or be perceived to be taking pro-gay positions, and having to witness the daily harassment and torment of kids without being able to do anything about it unless s/he wants to risk losing his/her income.

I wonder if people like Barb Anderson sleep well at night knowing what they've done. They shouldn't, but they probably do, because they believe that they'll go to heaven.

11. British Lad

British Lad Guest

Its so sad and yet it really Pisses me off about all those innocent kids killing there self, I feel like I want to buy a gun and go on a rampage to all those bigots who bully those kids. This homophobia has to go thought education or well, use your imagination, I am so angry. If I saw there somebody picking on somebody because they were gay I would not hesitant to go primal on them.

12. Emberstone

Minnasota is mentally unstable milita country... might want to rethink that plan.

13. Fiddledeedee

Why, why, why? I realise just how lucky I am to be out to everyone in secondary school and never have been bullied; I've only had one question that sounded like it might have been intended nastily, and that's it. I'm nearly crying after reading that article.

14. Mad Man L

To read that is really depressing. While I disagree with excessive anti-bullying legislation, I do think that to see such excessive gay bullying is 'extreme', and the fact is, there is no gay 'disease' or 'choice'. I don't know why anybody would 'choose' a life of torment.

15. Doctor Faustus

This was a terribly hard read. I nearly cried.

16. DarkClarity

Very powerful and well written article.

17. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow...it takes a lot to get me to cry. Tears are streaming right now.

Even more sad is that even after all this pure tragedy there are still people posting comments whom are deluded enough to blame "gay activists" for teaching an "unhealthy lifestyle."

I'm...speechless. Mute on the fact that a person could be so out of touch with the reality. I'm no Christian, but frankly I'd be much more apt to pray for these persons' souls than the lives of the innocent children whose throats they quite nearly slit themselves. They have far more to fear in their self-professed religion..

May any deity that could possibly exist help them to understand the atrocities that have been committed..