1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Passionate speech (from a republican!) in support of gay marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Chip, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is just wonderful. Too bad that it seems to take having one's own kid be gay to get conservatives on the right side of this issue
    [YOUTUBE]CbmbdWK6338[/YOUTUBE]​

2. Shevanel

I watched this live yesterday. She's quite the awesome woman.

3. Katelynn

Wow! I truly wish there were more people like her in this world! Hopefully one day soon there will be!

4. Emberstone

aw nuts... and here I was hoping it had happened at CPAC.

Yah, watched this live, and I am still tempted to email her office in gratitude.

5. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know, that would probably be a really good idea. I'm guessing she's taking a bunch of crap from the wingnuts in the party so it might be really appreciated if a few of us ECers could let her know how much it means to us.

Here's the contact form for her state government webpage.

The Washington State legislature has made it difficult to contact her office unless you can provide an address in her district, so here's an address that works:

45 Campbell Rd, Walla Walla, WA 99362 (That's the Chamber of Commerce, so no poor soul will get deluged with mail)

6. British Lad

British Lad Guest

So full of win, need I say more

7. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately even that is no guarantee. There are so many Bachmann/Santorum-esque people out there...

That was such an incredibly touching speech though... I feel like writing her a letter. Think that could ever get to her? Maybe just an email with Chip's link..

8. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My understanding (and Red State could correct me if I'm wrong) is that *all* constituent correspondence is read by one of the assistants in the office and the gist of the comments are passed on to the elected official. But I would also guess that since this is a personal issue for her (given her lesbian daughter) that the messages might get directly passed on to her.

So I think in any case it makes sense to reach out and let her know how much her support and her passion means to those of us affected by this issue.

9. b0i70y

This is the reason why I don't have anything against Republicans as a whole - except their flawed sense of economics, but that's a different matter. I know many Republicans who don't care if we can get Married, and in fact some of them voted for Obama because of his social politics.

Hate Ignorance, Not Political Party.

That being said, I really respect her for standing up for her daughter, and the rest of the LGBTQ community, in front of all of her peers. It's almost like coming out.

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No amount of love can express how happy she made me.

11. WanderingSoul

What an inspiring speech. You can tell Ms. Walsh's words are 100% heartfelt and genuine. She gets it. Unfortunately most in her party do not. The days of vilifying gays and lesbians to win votes is over...this isn't 1995 anymore. The GOP, as a whole, is shooting themselves in the foot with their continuing hostility to gay rights (especially the presidential candidates).

Sadly, as Chip said, it seems a gay child is required for Republican politicians to come to their senses. I'm just waiting for one of Rick Santorum's kids to come out...he's got a bunch of them, so the odds are decent. :icon_wink

#11 WanderingSoul, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012