1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Justin Trudeau (Canadian politician) supports transsexual and transgenered citizens

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Pigme1788, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Pigme1788

Pigme1788 Guest

I didn't see this video posted anywhere on the site and it is too great not to share.

A little background first. Recently some new Canadian airline regulations have been passed and one in particular stood out for LGBT rights groups. It reads as such, "an air carrier shall not transport a passenger if…the passenger does not appear to be of the gender indicated on the identification he or she presents."

Anyway, all the Canadians on the site will, I'm sure, know who Justin Trudeau is. For those of you who don't though he is a Liberal MP (member of Parliament) here in Canada, and he is amazing. I know I speak for most Canadians when I say, we can't wait for him to run for Prime Minister!

Also a fun fact for those who don't know, he is the son of Pierre Elliot Trudeau, who was Canada's Prime Minister from 1968 to 1984. Pierre Elliott Trudeau was one of the first Canadian government officials to openly support gay rights.
    His now famous quote, "We take the position that there is no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation," was a comment in the Canadian House of Commons on the decriminalization of homosexuality.

Anyhoo, here is the video. It's translated from French so that's why it's a voice over. Am I allowed to post Youtube videos? I hope I am. I don't want to get in trouble lol.

Justin Trudeau Stands up for Transsexual and Transgendered Rights - YouTube

2. Katelynn

Re: Justin Trudeau (Canadian politician) supports transsexual and transgenered citize

You are totally good for posting Youtube videos I think! And thanks so much! I know of Justin & I was so happy that he decided to enter public life & serve all Canadians, like his father did. Ive always been a huge fan of Pierre Trudeau, I think he was one of the greatest leaders this country has ever had, so I know that Justin will no doubt follow in his father's footsteps!

As a transgender person myself, I was quite upset to hear about this, as were a couple of my law professors when I told them (one of them was totally blown away that this is legislation is in effect & both were immediately quick to say that it was pretty much unconstitutional). I know that Justin, as well as the NDP, will be all over this issue, since the NDP have been amazing supporters of not only gay & lesbian rights, but also of trans rights in Canada, for a long time.

Thanks so much for posting this!

3. Pigme1788

Pigme1788 Guest

Re: Justin Trudeau (Canadian politician) supports transsexual and transgenered citize

You're very welcome!

I absolutely love the Trudeau's. I wasn't alive when Pierre was PM, but my Mum, to this day, still raves about how great he was. And Justin seems to hold the same values close to his heart that his father did. He's constantly asked when he's going to run for PM, and he says he's not old enough yet, he wants more experience. But I hope he does soon! We need to give Harper the boot!

NDP is really great as well, unfortunately, I don't think they'll ever win. :icon_sad: Mostly, because they are way too into unions and pretty much everyone who isn't in a union (and even some that are) hate unions lol. Plus, they don't have Jack anymore. :tears: I miss Jack. :icon_sad:

4. Katelynn

I love the Trudeau's as well. I was born in '75, so I remember a little bit from when Pierre was PM, & it was good! I watched his state funeral in 2000, & the whole country, even the whole world, was united in mourning when he passed, & for good reason (I remember watching the funeral in Ottawa on TV, & Jimmy Carter, the former US president & Fidel Castro were talking with each other, about what, no one knew, but even in death, Trudeau brought people together!). He was the man who established the Canadian Charter of Rights & Freedoms in Canada, so his legacy live on every single day in the country. When the Toronto bathhouse raids happened in 1980, resulting in the arrest of 300 men, it was that event that prompted his famous quote of the gov't having no place in the bedrooms of the nation. He truly did understand what our country needed & how we needed to become who we are today & continue to aspire to become. As Minister of Justice, Pierre Trudeau was responsible for introducing the landmark Criminal Law Amendment Act, 1968-69, an omnibus bill whose provisions included, among other things, the decriminalization of homosexual acts between consenting adults, the legalization of contraception, abortion and lotteries, new gun ownership restrictions as well as the authorization of breathalyzer tests on suspected drunk drivers. Trudeau famously defended the decriminalization of homosexual acts segment of the bill by telling reporters that "there's no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation", adding that "what's done in private between adults doesn't concern the Criminal Code". Trudeau also liberalized divorce laws in this country, giving women more rights in divorce proceedings as well, among other things in that area of law.

As for Justin, I think he is right when he says he needs more experience. Charisma & knowing to do thr right thing are great, but an inexperienced leader can make just as many mistakes as an experienced one. Something I love about our country is that we don't vote for the leader of our country, we vote for the party that best shares our own ideals, & that the leader of that party is the one who becomes PM. While I became disillusioned with the Liberal Party of Canada a long time ago, I havent completely given up hope on them. Jack Leyton did an amazing job with the NDP in the last election (I miss Jack so much too), which is why the election back in May was historic, both for the NDP & for our country. Believe me, having the NDP as the official opposition is no bad thing at all. The Liberals will be rebuilding the party for years to come, so the NDP have a much better chance of defeating a Harper majority govt than the Liberals will. The Liberals & the Conservatives have reluctantly supported LGBT rights because they realized it was the will of the people, but the NDP have been strong supporters of LGBT rights for a long time, especially trans rights, back in times when it was politically unpopular to do so. For any of their faults, Jack built a party that he tried to ensure would be inclusive of all Canadians, which is why people really responded not just to Jack, but to so many NDP candidates across the country, but especially in Quebec. Just look at Quebec, a province that has traditionally been governed by the Bloc Quebecois, whose main platform has been Quebecois independence & cessation from Canada. The NDP was able to unify Quebecers with the rest of Canada so much so that the Blox was all but disappeared from the political landscape in Quebec! Dont knock the NDP, they havent finished just yet!

As for unions, Ive worked in both unionized & non-unionized call centres, & laid off permanently from both when they were downsized. The non-union centre fired 300 people (violating a labour law when closing the centre I might add & ignoring calls from our local MPP when he attempted to find out what was going on), & pretty much leaving everyone to their own devices unemployed. Anyone who had been there 5 years got severence, anyone less than 5 years got nothing. The other, unionized centre I worked at, they tried to pull the same thing for about 170 of us- the union fought like hell (& won) to extend all of our medical & dental benefits for a year after the centre closed AND made sure that EVERY single employee got severence, regardless of how long they had worked there. Again, for all their faults, unions do have their benefits as well, take it from someone who has been in the workforce for a long while & has been on both sides of the workplace when it comes to unionized workplaces. Unions can be a pain, but they really do protect workers. I will admit tho, they sometimes hinder more than they help, but overall, unions can be a protection where the govt falls short sometimes...

As for Justin, Bob Rae used to be a Liberal & now he's an NDP, so if Justin crossed the aisle & joined the NDP, wow! I would LOOOVE that! Id still be happy if he remained a Liberal tho, just knowing he's in the House of Commons makes me feel a bit more at ease!

#4 Katelynn, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  5. person54

I'm so glad someone is standing up for trans people!! :slight_smile:

P.S. I thought he was pretty cute.

6. Pigme1788

Pigme1788 Guest

Oh, he is soo cute! I have the biggest crush on him.

7. Bradley

Justin Trudeau is an incredibly charismatic public speaker, and I think in a few years, with a little more experience, he will be a strong leader. I've seen him speak a few times, and he would have my vote if he was party leader.

His father is the one who gave us the Charter of Rights and Freedoms (the document that guarantees equal rights for all in Canada), and I don't think the apple has fallen far from the tree.

He is well spoken and also very bold, I loved his recent remark in the House of Commons (pretty much saying what most Canadians are thinking). Oh, you piece of sh*t! - Justin Trudeau - YouTube