1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what rights do transgender people have?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by jacob07, Feb 12, 2012.

1. jacob07

jacob07 Guest

I have been wondering,since I am trangender, what rights do I have? I mean, can my school give me a suspension because I am transgender? I am just wondering. I wanted to know what's right and what's wrong.

2. Zontar

Depends on where you live.

3. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    #3 Fugs, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  4. jacob07

jacob07 Guest

I just changed my settings to show where I live. Thanks for the advice. I haven't found anything for NY but just for places like california.

5. Alexandria

6. seeksanctuary

Well, less in some places... more in others.

You cannot get suspended from school from being trans; that would be discrimination. Looking at other rights... In Buffalo and Tompkins County, people are protected from discrimination based on sexuality AND gender identity. Anti-discrimination regarding public employment is protected in the whole of New York I believe. In order to change your sex markers in NY, you need to get some sort of surgery and a letter from the surgeon, except for NYC which requires a court order. In New York "sex reassignments are not recognized for the purpose of marriage", meaning (I think) if you at FTM you cannot marry a woman and if you are MTF you cannot marry a man.

Not sure about what else. D:

7. jacob07

jacob07 Guest

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep researching on this and I'll see what I can find. :slight_smile: