1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most US Catholics in Favour as Support for same-sex marriage rises;

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Fintan, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Fintan

Support for same-sex marriage rising in US; most Catholics now in favor
    Catholic World News
    09 February 2012

2. Shevanel

3. Emberstone

just remeber, the pope and the priesthood are not apart of catholicisem. they are seperate hierarchy that exists purely to perpetuate itself, and try to influence others to do its bidding.

Catholics themselves have always tended moderate/liberal within american history, mainly because until a few decades ago, the right wing was staunchly anti-catholic.

4. Jay

Jay

Emberstone, ROFL. Seriously?

The big difference is that the clergy is stuck in the 1850s regarding most of the social issues that are relatively new to the western culture. In that sense, the regular Catholic will, obviously, be more liberal and accepting than the clergy. They will have to catch up eventually.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  6. stuwee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll believe it when I fuckin' see it in the doctrine in writing, till then I call BS on the church that dares to hide behind it's over pompous ass :tantrum:

7. Shevanel

What the OP and others are talking about in this thread is that CATHOLICS in America, not the clergy and heirarchy of the Church, are more supportive of Sam Sex Marriage now more than ever. Again, NOT the church.

8. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm frankly surprised the number of opposing evangelicals was that low..I mean, I know a decent amount of LGBT-tolerant evangelicals, but I have yet to know any supporting same-sex marriage.

9. Emberstone

I really wish i had a clip from Kathleen madigans comedy special 'gone madigan' where she talks about the rate at which the catholic church progresses. she basically, in responce to her mother saying she has high hopes for the new pope, says "mom, last year the church apolagized to the greek orthadox church from things that the catholic church did to them in the year 1292... thats what file they are on mom... they haven't even gotten to gravity yet!"

Catholics themselves move faster than the church does, and the church doesnt move worth a squat on anything.

10. Katelynn

One possible explanation - Catholics are starting to realize that the whole 'love your neighbour' thing in the Bible makes more sense than the crap the Vatican keeps telling them. In other words, more Catholics are choosing to believe in what the New Testament says rather than the Old Testament the Pope, the Vatican & the narrow-minded others keeps clinging to & trying to hammer them over their heads with. All I can say is good for them, they choose to embrace the spirit of what their faith preaches rather than the literal words!

11. Fintan

^ This.

The hierarchy of the Catholic Church is so slow to change because the Catholic Church is so large and so much of it is now in South America, Africa and increasingly in Asia... places that are far behind the wealthy West. The Vatican needs to please 2 Billion Catholics... and frankly most of them are not in Canada/US/Europe.

12. stuwee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks Shevanel, I had to reread the OP, I stand aside, I do tend to get all pissy when it comes to Catholics, had some bad stuff happen long ago...

13. Jay

Jay

Although I know that what you say is true, it saddens me. The Vatican is not there to please people, is there to guide people. It's not their Church, is Jesus Christ's Church. So, I get that they need to take the stance that will anger the least amount of people in the church so they won't flee to other churches but that is not their real goal as a Religious Institution.

See, if the Vatican would support Same-Sex marriages and contraception, what would happen?
    • Many countries in the already changing Latin America would legalize same sex marriages, or at least civil unions, as Uruguay, Argentina and Mexico City have already done.
    • Many countries in both Africa and Latin America who have the highest rate of new cases of HIV/AIDS would decrease, I guess, since many people choose not to wear a condom because the Church tells them not to.
    • The Catholic Church in Europe would not see massive amounts of people changing to other denominations.
    • And if the Church would allow LGBT members to become priests and nuns, the amount of people willing to serve God would increase a bit, at least.
    • Also, it would create a major turning point worldwide regarding LGBT rights and Human Rights overall.

I do understand there would also be negative effects, but do they outweigh the positive?

14. Greenly79

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The church is so stuck in the past. I'm particularly annoyed with the stance on birth control that's been recently publicized. Really, how can they ignore that the overwhelming majority of Catholic women use birth control, NEED birth control? Do women need twenty children? More children than families can handle hurts the families, hurts the children, hurts society. Even if it's three, four children.
    I know Catholicism isn't a democracy, but what on earth are they thinking.

15. Fintan

The Roman Catholic Church and Eastern Orthodox Church subscribe to the belief of 'prima scriptura' while Protestants believe in 'sola scriptura'.

In simple terms; Protestants believe that doctrine (correct belief) is solely revealed by 'scripture'. So, Protestant beliefs can change according to how the 'church' interprets the Bible.

However, Roman Catholics and the Eastern Orthodox Church believe that while 'scripture' is the most important way that doctrine is revealed, doctrine can also be revealed by way of the Sacred/Holy Tradition. Essentially the idea that doctrine is a living thing and the Holy Spirit may reveal it to generations of people who live within Christ's Church.

So whereas, the Anglican/Episcopal Church might gather together its church leaders in 1930 and vote to change its stance on contraceptives based on their 'current' understanding of the Bible; the Roman Catholic Church would have to consider not just the Bible but also what generations of church doctors and scholars 'inspired by the Holy Spirit' have said on the topic.

So while I too wish the Roman Catholic Church would change its stance on contraceptives and gay marriage... I think there is a long road ahead.