1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transgenderbender

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by LaplaceScramble, Feb 14, 2012.

1. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've heard the term transgender thrown around a lot, whether it's in online chatrooms, my GSA club, or just LGBT webcomics. I know that, by the strictest definition, it is when a born male believes/knows they are female and vice versa. But does the term transgender also apply to people who feel they are gender neutral? As in while they may be male or female biologically, but internally they feel like neither gender, like they just are? :help:

2. Bedroom Hymns

Well I'd say that would be agender.

3. Aareon

I agree with him. It still kinda falls under the umbrella term of transgender.

4. Hexagon

Transgender is an umbrella term which includes (but is not limited to): Transsexuals, Cross Dressers, Genderfluid people, Gender Neutral people, Bigenders, Agendered people, gender benders and drag queens/kings.

Transsexuals are the people that have specific gender dysphoria making a transition from male to female or female to male a necessity.

5. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Genderfluid people, Gender Neutral people, Bigenders, Agendered people, gender benders......what do those terms specifically refer too?

6. Aya McCabre

7. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Seeing how long and active you've been on here, Aya McCabre, would you be able to explain what each of these mean? Genderfluid people, Gender Neutral people, Bigenders, Agendered people, gender benders

Whenever I ask...all I get is a catch-call phrase...transgender

8. Aya McCabre

The only label on that diagram that I fall under is drag, so I'm not best qualified to answer that, but this is my understanding. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Genderfluid: having a gender or gender presentation that changes over time.

Gender neutral: having no internal gender, feeling that you fall between categories, or having a gender presentation that falls between categories. Possibly using gender neutral pronouns, or more than one set of pronouns.

Bigender: having more than one gender identity. bigender.net it a good resource for this.

Agender: similar to gender neutral. Having no internal gender.

Gender benders: another umbrella term referring to an unusual or non-standard gender presentation.

9. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you. That helps more than you may realize

10. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Gender fluid is where you feel like a male, and later you feel like a female, and later you feel like a male.....

Also you can feel like you are in between the two sometimes.

#10 Charni, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  11. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How would that differ from bigender?

12. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Bigender is where you feel both at once (I think), genderfluid you are only one (I used to be genderfluid).

13. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So basically genderfluid is like the bipolar of transgenderness? ahahah

14. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I guess you could put it that way...

15. Bedroom Hymns

Interesting.

16. Hot Pink

I can explain transsexuals, since I'm one of those. I'm male-to-female. That means I was born physically male, but my brain never transitioned to male brain chemistry. Basically, I have a female brain, but the rest of my body is male--at least, that's one theory. This is backed up by gender dysphoria: a condition where one gains anxiety based on gender identity. This dysphoria appears to be more physical than mental, as much research is pointing to that the dysphoria is the result of the brain rejecting testosterone--at least in my case.

To put it simply, transsexuals are people who transition from one sex to the other to match what's in their heads. It's not something that's entered into lightly, which is the reason why people who do transition are usually happier and very few regret it. There are a few cases where people transitioned back, but they are rare.

How do transsexuals transition? Well, usually you go to therapy with--hopefully--someone with experience with transgendered people. After three months, if you're of sound mental health, you're given a letter of recommendation to begin hormone replacement therapy (HRT). Any surgeries are seen as optional, but there are quite a few transsexual people who would disagree. I live in central Minnesota, where all of the clinics and hospitals are run by the catholic church. The catholic church does not support HRT for transsexuals. I have to travel nearly an hour and a half to get to a clinic that prescribes me hormones.

Transsexuals often struggle with the rest of the transgender community--specifically drag queens. Like it or not, most people think of drag queens when someone says transgender. They think that's how we're all like. I personally love drag shows, they're a lot of fun, but it also sucks that we're pigeon-holed into being the same as drag queens. Most of us look like any other girl walking down the street and many people are surprised when they find out we're trans. We just need to work on eliminating myths and ignorance about transgendered people. Threads like this will help more than just Bi to Canada.

17. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that's what my problem has been. I was never able to place myself as 'male' in that sense. Ever since I was younger I've acted (or wanted to) in what could be seen as very manly or very feminine. and not just act as in I get a sudden urge, but I'll feel normal doing one gender-stereotipical thing over another. A problem I ran into at an early age can basically be exemplified like this: my favorite color was pink, so in from other kids I would always get the response "but you're a boy, pink is a girl color."

While i'm not possitive, it seems like stuff like that is what made me get used to being male since I was at the point in life where I wanted to be socially acceptable.

Now that I'm older though, I realize that (pardon my language) I don't really give a fuck about what is or isn't socially acceptable when it comes to this. With that be said however, I'm trying to get over the fact that I have been 'male' for almost my entire life, and I'm not really sure what to do now that I've started making myself aware to the fact that I'm not my sex....it's just confusing :eusa_thin

18. Hot Pink

You're confusing two different things: gender identity and gender roles. They are different. Gender identity is simply how you feel, not what you like or how you act. That's how there can be tomboys who like being girls and feminine guys who like being boys. Gender roles are a social construct and they differ from culture to culture.

19. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think my example may have muddled my point...what I was trying to say is that when I was younger, whenever I identified as being female and because of that acted how I saw girls acting, I received the "you're a boy" schpeel. And because i acted how I felt, since i was told I was acting wrong, i assumed I was also feeling wrong.

20. Hot Pink

Ah, okay, yeah... I know how that is. I was a bit of a tomboy, but I was still feminine. My parents tried their best to masculinize me when I was a kid and preteen, but it's not something that can be changed through force.