1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One Town's War on Gay Teens

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Gaetan, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Gaetan

Full Article

This is directly related to shfh's thread, but I felt this great article deserved it's own thread. Be warned, it is somewhat graphic, heavy, and really not a pleasant read. Still, everyone should read it anyway because it is very important.

2. Doctor Faustus

Read it. Was moved to near tears.

3. starfish

Words can not express the anger I feel right now.

4. Nightmaric

I can't believe this is happening. People are sick. :frowning2:

5. JRNagoya

Unreal that article. Damned shame it took so much hate and bullying for people to realize the problems these kids have.

6. DarkClarity

I came across this article a few weeks ago. Shocking that this sort of thing could happen.

7. DhammaGamer

Unbelievable. I can't believe so much hate, intolerance, and ignorance can foster in our world. The worst part is that they blame the victims. So sad. So sososo sad.

8. PistolWhip

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Jesus Fucking Christ. In Ireland nobody dares to take a step out of the closet. At least not where I'm from.

9. Valeyard

I read three pages, and started to cry. I hate how this seems to be done only in specific areas. If you went around where I live and came out, most kids would say something to the affect of "good for you". Yet, there are areas like this out there, where kids still kill themselves over how others, total :***: :***: :***: :***: :***: :***:, think that the more common sexuality is the only 'right' one. You can't just follow the bible for your behavior in today's world. It makes no sense! It's outdated, and it doesn't cover anything that's really relevant in today's world. The whole "No Homo Promo" bull:***: just makes me want to beat the conservatives with a giant, pink dildo. :bang:

But, none of that would solve anything. While I would be satisfied, in the short term, it'd ultimately be worthless. And I would love to do something that would help these kids. Like, climb into my time machine, and create policies that would effectively ban any anti-gay ones that came later. That, to me, would be a better solution. Disable the bullying before it begins.

...if any of that made sense.

10. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

The evangelicals have to have their little holy war, though. So a few homos die in the crossfire: it's all the fault of those liberals, remember. After all, encouraging kids to think it's okay to be gay tells the kids it's okay to give in to unnatural desires, such as homosexuality and suicide. Everyone knows how they are linked.

Personally, I found the article to be uplifting and inspiring. It gladdens my heart that these kids realize they can fight back and that they have a right to fight back. I find it hard to get upset about it because all the tragedy in it was status quo for me.

11. Custard

This.

12. British Lad

British Lad Guest

I real it it in a similar article, and it is saddening, one day we will not have to suffer, one day. This Evangelicals need to go full stop, these guys need to go to jail for there hate then deported to Mars or some were out of the civilised world as they do not deserve the luxury of the modern world.

13. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

"The followers of Jesus have been persecuted since the beginning. This would be nothing new."

Excerpt from article:
    Bachmann's view:
    Bachmann's nightmare:
    All above from OP article.

More words of wisdom from Bachmann, from Wikiquote:
    Sure, Bachmann. Sure.

14. Valeyard

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
    Yeah. Because a life of causing everyone else to conform to what you believe in isn't bad. *eyeroll*

15. Elven

Disgusting.

16. silkfrog1292

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." Mohandas Gandhi

"Without religion, we'd have good people doing good things, and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." Stephen Weinburg

"Ignorance is the night of the mind, but a night without the moon and stars" Confucius

17. J Snow

This article was pretty intense. It was a good read, but it was sad.

18. anonymous1

I cried reading this. It reminded me of two boys that drowned last year on accident. Four kids died over the course of my sister's high school career. None of them thankfully were related to bullying. I can't imagine 9 suicides. It effected so many people last year. I picture one of them as he was at my sister's 5th grade birthday party.

#18 anonymous1, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  19. Hot Pink

Can't they just stop this? The religious right is causing so much damage with their self-proclaimed "culture war." It's not just LGBT kids committing suicide. It's anyone who may be perceived as being LGBT. Straight children are killing themselves because of this "war" too. Why can't they see the damage they're causing and stop?

The "don't say gay" law and "sexual neutrality" laws just give people opportunities to abuse these poor children.

20. b0i70y

I couldn't finish reading this...

I just felt sick...