1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Effeminacy/Misogyny

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Greenly79, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Greenly79

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    "I see homosexual rights and gender equality to be one in the same since both stem from discomfort over gender roles, behavior, performance, and binaries. If the gay community seeks equal treatment, they must start at the roots and revolutionize this ancient sexist mentality."
    This is a quote I saw on autostraddle. They were exploring what exactly is WRONG with being effeminate (nothing), and tying it to misogyny. I never thought of it in this context before, I thought generally that people found individuals who did not appear to conform to their gender roles threatening but it IS misogynistic! Making sure that the "girly" remains subservient to the "masculine." Therefore, girly men are something to be scorned, because why would you give up all that masculine privilege? So are masculine women, because how dare you try to step out of your subservient role?
    What do you think?

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

That's exactly the reason why I'm as staunch of a feminist as I am a GLBT-rights activist (probably moreso).

3. Zontar

"Sissyphobia" is everything rooted in misogyny as much as it is in homophobia. It's the implicit argument that acting (or choosing to act) feminine is implicitly bad or undesirable.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly I try not to care. I'll admit I'll try and maybe hunch over a bit when in the dangerous part of downtown because I don't want to entice those awful people by saying I walk straight up and thus am clearly gay. But otherwise, I work it. I will walk how I want to walk, I will talk how I want to talk, I will say hunny, sweetie, darling, and every other word I want because it's who I am. Yes I know I'm hiding downtown but otherwise, I see no problem with being as fem or unfem you want to be :slight_smile:

5. Beachboi92

i've been saying this forever on this forum lol Down with misogyny up with flamboyant gay men, butch lesbians, and drag queens!

6. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

I kind of think of myself as the effeminate gay equivalent of an amazon. I am 6'2" tall, and I'm somewhat broad-shouldered. Otherwise, I'm pretty silky and young-looking, and I think I have curves in all the right places for a girl. I don't think that being "effeminate" necessarily means being "sissy." At the other end, I don't think that being "masculine" necessarily means being "macho": some of the trans-boys out there actually look softer, nicer and more approachable when they attire and style themselves as guys. You can be a powerful and dominant trans-woman, and you can be a soft and approachable trans-man.

Macho-ethics teach that effeminate men are parasites who attempt to draw on attentions and privileges reserved for women. Macho-ethics teach that men are born with a certain set of expectations, and it is considered to be a form of social betrayal to fail at fulfilling those expectations. According to macho-ethics, to be effeminate is a form of "desertion under fire." Adherents of macho-ethics have historically rendered abuse and occasionally murder against effeminate men.

The continuing adherents of macho-ethics, which have outlived their use if--as I consider unlikely--they ever had any real purpose, are a liability. Such adherents are incapable of living up to the expectations of a tolerant, liberal, largely peaceful society. Their failure can no longer be overlooked. Unless these individuals can reform their behavior and habits, it will ultimately be necessary to start rendering disciplinary action. For our society to have a standard of conduct, we must be willing to enforce it.

In the past, we have used awkward phrases such as "no tolerance for intolerance." In reality, this phrase uses two different senses of the word "tolerance." One of its meanings is "to condone." The other meaning being used is "to respect." We do not condone disrespect toward lesbians, gays, bisexuals, the transgendered, the gender-queer, the intersexed, or those who are simply eccentric in temperament. This is our code, and we will enforce it. This is the chivalry of our time.

7. Aya McCabre

I found this today:

“The femme identity is always treated with suspicion and disdain precisely because it invests itself into the qualities most commonly associated with weakness and powerlessness. Even across queer communities, we, too, are often convinced that relying on masculinity is the only way to be commanding and threatening in the face of the powers we seek to challenge.
    To Hollibaugh, the femme identity is always a radical one, no matter who does it, because it works to command and threaten without reifying male status or masculinist hierarchies. It challenges power on the terms which power most fears, and refuses to forfeit any of its own desires, tendencies or passions in the process.”
    — Amber Hollibaugh

8. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Drag queens will save the world.

9. sanguine

that makes sooooooooooooooo much sense, ive always been for equal rights towards feminism anyways, i respect my mum too much for her to get the short end of the stick.
    lovehertobits