1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

States that take same sex couples children into custody?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by breakingboxes, Feb 17, 2012.

1. breakingboxes

Ok, so we are contemplating having children, and I know that there are states that will take your children if you go through them, but i want to know which ones and I cannot figure it out. does anyone know anything about this or have a link that i can read up on this? I know it is out there and I need to know which states to stay out of...
    thanks!

2. Emberstone

I don't think any state is allowed to take children out of same-sex parent households without evidence of neglect or abuse.

3. b0i70y

I'm pretty sure they can't do that. I tried googling what you were talking about and I didn't come up with anything. Maybe I wasn't being thorough enough... *shrug*

Just stay away from the southern states... And Iowa.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You might call the National Association of Social Workers at their national office. They're a very liberal-minded group, and are also in the trenches working in Child Protective Services in all 50 states, so they would know which states have the worst records as far as that sort of thing.

5. kellymporta

Is that legal? I mean, unless there is some form of child abuse, taking a kid away from a same sex couple is more or less like a kidnapping.

6. GoogieHowser

GoogieHowser Guest

I would echo Chip's assessment. I don't think its legal, but you could check with them or the HRC.

Now, if the republicans had their way, it would be illegal even to be a lesbian.

7. Bibliophile

Funny I am Republican for voting purposes and I dont agree with this at all..... but wait if someone substituted Republican with Christian or other Abrahamic religion which by the by you mostly could there would be at least one person that goes hey we have Christians on this board and thats offensive. Yet they wont here because I guess republican doesnt fall under some special umbrella of protection so its ok to generalize and be bigoted against a political system of belief even though its just as subjective and as much of a choice as religion.

8. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Republican Party, by and large, has never been remotely supportive of gay rights, and there are quite a few Republican congresspeople, senators, governors, and others who absolutely would, if they could, make all gay and lesbian people go away, and do, as a matter of course, try and do everything in their power to take rights away from gays and lesbians.

Yes, most of these are also Christians, and their bigotry probably comes more from ultra-right Christian beliefs than from basic Republican beliefs... but as you well know, the current Republican party has gone way away from the original core Republican beliefs. And Republicans also have a long and distinguished history of being on the wrong side of every major social progress initiative in the past 100+ years... they were against the Civil Rights Act, against Brown v Board of Education, against Medicare, against Social Security, against the Voting Rights Act, and dozens of others. So this is not a party that's ever done much of anything for the have-nots.

With a very, very few exceptions, you'd be hard pressed to find many Republicans that have ever done anything positive for gay people.

On the other hand, there are many, many Christian people, and a number of Christian faiths, who truly understand the real meaning of Christianity and don't judge, and have welcomed gay and lesbian people with open arms into their hearts, homes, and churches.

It's not an apples-and-apples comparison.

9. Bibliophile

Chip and for every example of what you sited as wrong I could likely point out a RELIGIOUS base for it. Because guess what that is what is most often used as the WHY something should be wrong. Just to site a couple:

Being against gay rights: God didn't make us this way
    Brown vs., and the civil rights act: God didn't intend races to mix, the bible oks slavery. and numerous other b.s. reasons.

So most often where the Republican party was wrong ethically it had a religious backing. I could find many republicans in the military that are for gay rights. I just saw a republican senators video posted here on her being for gay rights. Then I could just as easily find over a thousand years worth of religious suppression of gay rights and human rights in general as well as the suppression of social advance. Simply put there are more religious people then there are Republicans so of course its easier to find moderates in the former group. Yet does that make it ok to generalize and be bigoted against a belief system that in itself is not inherently evil or bigoted. You yourself said it that the republican party has strayed from what it was meant to be and there are those like me that are working to correct that. But daily I see bashing against republicans when I could easily point out how religion has done far worse the the LGBT community over all. Yet its not ok to bash them because there is this air of sacredness around religion when as I already said its simply a belief system that is chosen.

10. Emberstone

so basically because it is religiously based, then the republican party taking up those religious basises as the basis for how to vote on their issues means that we should just ignore that it is the republican party that are the ones standing against the various issues noted?

the republican party has decided to keep religion involved in goverment (which is unconstitutiuonal according to the consitution itself, i might add).

until the republican party drops pushing religious beliefs into law, you cannot seperate the two, for they are unified entities.

of course, alot of christians abide by the constitution, and dont interject their faith into law, but we call those democrats.

11. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The point is... the republican party has been taken over by religious crazies (which are not the same as Christians, it's a subset of bigoted Christians). And the likelihood of that changing anytime soon is very close to zero. It's great that people like you are trying to change it, but whole system is so broken, and virtually all politicians are so corrupt, that it's close to impossible to make any meaningful change.

But we've completely hijacked a thread that has nothing to do with this, so it would be best if we let the thread get back on topic. If you want to discuss this, feel free to start another thread, but it would be nice for the OP if his discussion didn't turn into a political narrative on democrats vs republicans vs christians.