1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sex Education In Schools - What A Farce!

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Robert, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is anyone else here a bit pissed off over the poor quality of sexual education in schools?

What has everyones experience here been? Do you think your school taught you enough about sex?

My school, it seems, did the bare minimum required of it.

1. I never had to take any exams or tests on it.
    2. I had one hour lessons on it once a week which lasted for approximately a month or two.
    3. We never learned about anything in any detail. We never learned about different types of sex (oral, anal etc) and how they were different or similar to conventional sex and we learned hardly any statistics at all (how many people have one disease etc).
    4. They seriously NEVER taught us ANYTHING about our bodies apart from that boys got erections.

Coming on to this forum has made me realise one thing in particular, how ignorant EVERYONE is about sex.

Its fucking ridiculous. It is seriously the one thing in the whole of school that we learn that everyone will need to know about and they teach us barely anything at all.

2. Bedroom Hymns

I have been having sex ed this month and I find it good actually. It could be better, but it's definitely better than how you describe your experience. I did realise some (maybe many) were very ignorant. For example, most guys didn't even know that it's not common for a woman to have an orgasm through vaginal stimulation alone and that the clitoris is the main thingy to make it happen.

I mean, I already knew that and I'm gay.

3. NickT

They taught us about reproductive organs, the anatomy behind them, and STDs. Basically only the latter was useful.

4. British Lad

British Lad Guest

Sex education over here is at least 1/2 descent, and only the physical aspence , I think they need to teach of different orations and some of the more complex stuff.

5. stupidIvan

My school fed us catchy, outdated jingles about condoms and safe sex.

Funny, but not educational at all. They were pretty much teaching us things that everyone already knew about. Basically the bare minimum, and really no work or communication involved.

I really think that they should elaborate on reproductive organs, and even give them blatant facts and advice, such as "PULLING OUT DOESN"T WORK STUPID" or something. Sex education has never really felt like education to me, in some way? It always felt like "wait until you're older to make sex or you will get all the aids. aids by the way." Not helpful.

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sex ed. in the US sucks. When I took my health class, we watched movies. The movies were not even health related.

For example, one of the movies was be kind rewind.

I learned nothing in that class.

7. vyvance

Don't remember even taking it. I remember having a health class, but not sex ed.

8. bluebirduphigh

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello, I find this a really interesting subject as I'm training to be a primary teacher at the moment and there seems to be a misconception that primary aged children are receiving 'sex' education when that isn't the case.

I didn't get much other than anatomy etc when it came to sex education at secondary school, but tbh I was very sensitive and I don't think I could have handled much more than that. I guess teachers and the education system are constantly battling against how much is too much info? And I do remember a boy in our class fainting during the lesson!

9. our school was odd. we had about 3 lessons on it.
    girls were in one room the boys went off in another.
    we learnt about periods (we got a magazine with a sanitary towel selotaped too it.. classy..) we watched a movie where a woman gave birth....
    and then we got given a diagram with a naked man and naked woman on it and labelled the body parts....
    and got told that the guy has to wear a condom or the girl has to have an implant.
    thats it.

sort of is a bit silly how its all about straight sex. not all kids are going to be straight....

10. Aya McCabre

My school liked shock tactics... they invited someone from family planning along to show us photos (*shudder*) and told us to wear condoms every two seconds. And... that was about it. They were pretty good about internal anatomy and consent and stuff, and they made us research the hell out of stds, but I left school knowing nothing about what I could do, what I could catch or how to keep myself safe. I think we actually covered more about actual sex and babies in religious education than we did in health.

(Side note: I know it sounds more saying we did more in RE than we did in health, but our teacher was awesome and encouraged us to think about all sides of an issue. At my christian school, we were encouraged to think that abortion might sometimes be the best choice for some people, that sex should be fun, and we were taught about other religions, what they believe and that we should respect them. Playing devil's advocate got you extra points. If you're going to have religion in schools, it couldn't be done better than what we had.

11. Lemony Lime

Actually, I thought they taught us too much. I mean, they went over it well enough in 5th grade, that even my feeble child brain fully understood it, and then in middle and high school went over it again.

12. Fiddledeedee

My school gives, um, detailed education; sometimes I wish it didn't. There are no exams, and it's taught once a week for a month or more in PE, a few lessons on abortion in RS, and anatomy and hormones for a term in Science. This is some of what we're taught and how it's done – I wish it wasn't as detailed:

Contraception
    We practice putting condoms on fake penises, we handle things like diaphragms, we're told in detail about types of pill, we know about other things like IUDs and spermicide. We are taught that accidents do happen, to use multiple methods, and a number of myths are busted about things like pulling out. We know a fair bit about pregnancy and family planning. Abortion is covered in RS lessons.

STIs
    We're shown pictures of some STIs, we know some of the effects of chlamydia and other common diseases, we are told the importance of scans and such. Our school offers free, confidential testing for some STIs. We are given fake boobs and balls to feel for cancerous lumps.

Periods
    I can only answer for the girls, of course, but we are taught about discharge, the cycle, the hormones involved (from science lessons), pads and tampons, and what is and isn't normal. Thankfully, they don't go as far as to show us a used pad.

Sex
    Oral sex and masturbation have been mentioned. We are given a fairly detailed account of "normal" sex and the mechanics. We're told about the emotions (or lack of) involved, having casual sex, consent laws, reasons for and against it, and one off-timetable morning was about alcohol and rape. Detailed diagrams of reproductive organs are shown as young as year 6.

Sexuality
    We're shown the Homophobia Project, in which the world is inverted so being gay is the norm, and two teens who were bullied and such for being straight narrate. That was just over a year ago, and it was the first time homosexuality was mentioned. We aren't taught about gay or lesbian sex, and bisexuality has never been mentioned.

13. bluebirduphigh

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
  14. sanguine

well i think the sex ed here is pretty smack bang on the bullseye, i remember them giving us spelling tests on words like vagina, clitoris, penis etc

even up to my final last 2 years of highschool, they taught us everything from which sensitive parts of the body is more sensitive for women, to watching the movies about the gay dude who was fired for being gay under the false pretense of having aids, i forgot what the movie was called but it was but the main actor was tom hanks and it was pretty old

oh and the classes were split between the boys a girls, and the teachers were open to answer any questions ( my class just talked ALOT about sex) my friend in the girl class told me they talked about blow jobs and virginity and alot of other things.

even my little sister tells me in her class some of the girls put their hands up when the teacher asked who has had sex (shes 2 years younger than me so dont get the wrong idea)

so sex ed here is pretty good, they even taught us, (well my school dunno about the others) that being gay was ok and we should respect people.

#14 sanguine, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  15. Nykoru

Out Status:
    Some people
    My school district was pretty bland. They started throwing THE WORDS at us something like grade six (beginning of middle school) or eight. Can't quite remember the first. They would make us play games about the terminology and a bit of the anatomy, and they really liked their version of Jeopardy. As for sex itself, they would label the different types of sex (aka 'there is' vaginal, and oral sex - no mention of anal until the last bout of it in grade ten) but the most description they ever went into was that in vaginal sex, the male inserts his penis into the female's vagina - end of story.

Yeah, they were so vague about pretty much everything that I recall trying to figure out how two people of the same gender, but especially two guys, would have sex during high school. Yeah... successful sex ed, no? Oh, and they fed us a ton of stats, including a fair few about how homosexual men were more likely to get all sorts of diseases - not that they actually went out and said that homosexuality was wrong, oh no, they couldn't do that *eyeroll*

16. dreamcatcher

Sex education in my school was pretty decent. We saw plenty of videos and we went over the common myths of sex like "can masturbation get you pregnant?" Or "can you get stds from oral sex?" You know, the basics. We also went over anatomy and how it's important to use condoms or birth control. Also we went over all the STI's. We never did the putting the condom on the banana thing or spoke about the morning after pill. Luckily we have the internet now to answer any question we may have :slight_smile:

Before college I thought that everyone went over the basics of sex education but clearly I was wrong. One of my friends thought the pull out method was 100% effective for birth control and that you couldn't get STDS with it. And another one had no idea what a clitoris was and she's a girl... True life..

17. Silver Sparrow

I go to a private all-girls school. We have 40 minutes of health once a week, and we get to choose some of the lessons.
    It's pretty cool. We talk a lot about nutrition, stress, and the like, and we actually talk a decent amount about sex. We're all pretty smart, so we know that sex isn't really a logical option at our age or anything near that.
    We talked about various methods of contraception last year, along with basic LGBT vocabulary, and the different kinds of sex. This year, they brought in GBSTA members to talk about more of that. It's actually quite nice. Our teachers acknowledge that we feel embarrassed, and take that into account with our lesson plans.

18. Aareon

I was taught a lot. Enough for me to not want to have sex at all. We had 80 mins per week for about 12 or so weeks. We learnt a lot. Everything about contraception and absatinence.
    We've covered oral and anal. We learnt a lot on statistics and the outbreak of STI on the girls around out area which definatly made me think again about having sex at a young age. We got taught that masturbation was normal but never taught us how. hahah. They've shown us lots of STI and STD pictures to. Like the really gross ones like gonorrhea and pubic lice. We had to know the symtoms and effects it has on our body for the tests.
    Believe it or not but our PDHPE classes supported gay people and told us it was normal. We did like a mini survey on who supported gay people. My whole class supported LGBT people.
    Anyway, thanks to PDHPE classes I learnt that it's illegal to have sex under 16 anyway.

19. Alexandria

My school was even more idiotic.

They took most of the sex out of biology and put it in this moronic "Carreer and Personal Planning" class, preaching abstinence mostly with some safe sex tossed in.

What irked me was I was GOOD in biology - when i could stay awake for it. Having mental classes like that at 830 in the morning - then gym last thing in the afternoon. Sheesh.

20. Hot Pink

In fifth grade, we were split up into two groups of boys and girls. We watched a video about how our bodies will begin changing soon. In sixth grade, we were taught about HIV and AIDS. In eighth grade, we were taught about how sex was evil and we shouldn't do it.

In tenth grade, something new was being implemented. I live in a rural, conservative community and it turned out that they were going to teach us about homosexuality and even transgendered people. It was huge and controversial. Parents had protests and everything, but they still taught us. It was when I first heard of transgendered people and realized what I was, so I was really thankful. Still took me 11 more years to come out, though.