1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DOMA Ruled Unconstitutional by US District Judge

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Alexandria, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Alexandria

I do believe that should improve a few people's day -- and spoil a few fundies' day.

2. Rob999

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This is great. :slight_smile: Although this doesn't mean the end of DOMA quite yet, does it?

3. Alexandria

I wouldnt think so; but this may mark the start of the firestorm that kills it. I hope anyway.

4. Katelynn

It should be a signal to every homophobic, Republican candidate for president (so, all of them, basically), that they can huff & puff all they want about how same-sex marriage is wrong, but they have no choice but to acquiesce to the decisions of the US courts of law. THIS, ladies & gentlemen, is EXACTLY what the founding fathers had in mind when they created a govt & a judiciary separate from each other. You see, sometimes the system DOES work! At some point, the US Supreme Court will one day step in, rule once & for all about the uncostitutonality of all this anti-LGBT legislation, which will leave Republicans & TeaBaggers (as I call the Tea Party, but if your prefer, TeaTotallers) with nothing left to bitch about but 'theyre gonna raise your taxes, theyre gonna raise you taxes!'

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As usual though, they'll probably call for White's dismissal because he's "infringing on religious rights and freedoms" or some story of poppycock. But that's the firestorm I bet that will truly start it. This is the second step in the beginning of the end for DOMA.

6. Hexagon

Nice. I hope this is really the end of it (the beginning of, anyway)

7. Zontar

Nope. But it is another major blow, and yet another sign that federal judges are growing dissatisfied with it.

8. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (Emphasis added.)

You know, I enjoy mud slinging quite a bit, and probably more than most people - that being said, do you have any actual proof that Ron Paul is homophobic? 'Cause he appears to be one of the most socially liberal Republicans out there. Not saying you're wrong, but just that I'd like to know if he actually is homophobic..

Also, what of Romney? I haven't gotten a homophobic feel from him either. Just that he won't support gay marriage. Although it is frankly hard to tell where Romney actually stands since he changes every personal position based on what he's running for.

-----------------------------
    Edit: Oh, and maybe I'm wrong here but I seem to remember Scalia saying that he would prefer to not take cases involving gay marriage, seeing as there wasn't really any legal precedent he could see to deny equal marriage rights. So I could see how they may neglect to ever address the issue, or at least until they get a few different judges on the SC.

#8 Browncoat, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  9. Zontar

Romney's got the moderate potential to be a Republican Bill Clinton.

If I weren't registered independent, I'd be voting for him in the primaries. Because that, and he's still better than that nutball Santorum. =p

10. Merlot

Congrats to Mrs. Cunnilingus

11. starfish

[​IMG]

12. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dunno about you, but the fact Romney signed the National Organization for Marriage's Marriage Pledge, that's reason enough to me that he stands against equality and the LGBT community.

On a different note:

It's really happening. I honestly think within ten years, DOMA will be extinguished. It would take a Supreme Court of bible-thumping anti equal protection rights type of court to argue that DOMA isn't unconstitutional....

13. kris B

As expected, the House Republicans are appealing the decision in the 9th circuit court...So now there's a DOMA case in the first and the ninth circuits. One of them is bound to reach Supreme court soon

14. RedState

Yes Revan, Romney has the exact same position on gay marriage as your hero, Obama has.

And before you offer an excuse, let me save you the time,,he's "evolving" right?

Sure.

He'll "evolve" his decision during a second term I'll bet.

15. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thought Republicans didn't believe in evolution. Oh snap.

In being serious tho, he has evolved, he use to say he would not legalize same sex marriage, yet last I checked by not defending DOMA he is defending same-sex marriage. I'd call that evolving. And by doing it during his first term proves a lot, he didn't play it safe for the term, he did a lot. And don't give the whole argument about of how he's ruining the economy. He's trying to save it after the mess Bush caused. But no, Republicans blame it on Obama because he is the one who is President. What will happen if Romney wins? Gay marriage potentially dies unless he is too late to stop it, but he's going to try, something Obama never tried to do.

16. RedState

Hahahahha...God I find this so entertaining. Of course you would find an excuse.

And...umm...in my reply, how exactly did I say anything about the economy or Bush? Please point out an example, because if I did mention that in this thread it was clearly inappropriate and I would be out of line, so i will take it back...so where did I mention it?

Thought so.

Next.

17. GoogieHowser

GoogieHowser Guest

as a canadian you understand the american legal system better than most american!

18. JRNagoya

I've been watching a lot of gay-themed documentaries since coming out. The history of homosexuality was most definitely not a class taught when I was in high school. Two documentaries in particular, Before Stonewall and After Stonewall, should almost be required viewing for anyone who is gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, curious, or open minded. As a gay man, I owe it to the many hundreds of thousands of gay and straight people throughout the last few decades who have protested, fought against homophobia, and put their lives, loves, and careers on the line to fight for equality under the U.S. Constitution. I can't help but be proud to be a part of that history.

Unlike American history that pertains to our Revolutionary War, the freeing of slaves during the Civil War, or even the cataclysmic events surrounding WWI and WWII, the post-Stonewall era is still affecting our basic human rights today and is very much a part of the current vernacular. Most of us on this board are still relatively young. We grew up in an environment of freedom, education, and free of the many fears that haunted our ancestors. We don't know what it's like to not have these basic, inalienable rights. Even for all that, we do know what it's like to be stigmatized, denied the right to love and marry the person of our choosing, and to enjoy and better ourselves off of the rights and privileges afforded to straight, heterosexual couples. Right now, the right for gays and lesbians to marry is only legal in a handful of U.S. states and a few foreign countries. The fight for gay equality is far from over and victories like DOMA being found unconstitutional are momentous occasions to be celebrated and heralded.

Maybe one day in the not-so-far-off future, some young gay man or lesbian girl will be wondering what all the fuss and bother is about as they've grown up in a society that has long had homosexual equality. But for the time being, we are on the vanguard of change very much akin to the tumultuous 1960s. It would be so nice to live in a world where accepting and embracing your sexuality was merely a sign of growing up and not a stigma or a shameful burden to be swallowed and hidden from everyone you know. Until that time, the fight must go on and we must give thanks to those who have fought before us.

#18 JRNagoya, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  19. GoogieHowser

GoogieHowser Guest

Very well put Nagoya. We in the lgbt community stand on the shoulders of those who came before us

20. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The one thing I think we need to do if we're ever truly going to stand equal is to stop being discriminatory amongst one another....We have to stand at an equal front, because right now? Yeah we're kind of like the X-Men and Brotherhood in a way. We're fighting sometimes within ourselves, femme vs masculine, kids vs adults, pretty much everything in the straight world. It's no wonder things still are only progressing slowly...