1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chick-fil-A and College Campuses

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by JRNagoya, Mar 2, 2012.

1. JRNagoya

The Advocate had an interesting article about the donation policies of Chick-fil-A towards anti-gay marriage support groups. This article talks about how one college rallied together to have a contract for the restaurant denied:

Chick-fil-A Chased Off Boston's Northeastern University | News | The Advocate

Then the other day I get an e-mail from my school (New York University) on the very same topic, but with a completely different outcome:

Not quite sure how I feel about that. I really love their food, but since coming out, I'm much more aware of how the LGBTQ community is treated, ignored, or just blatantly have their rights violated. If you protest everything that has a controversial connection, you'll soon be walking naked, hungry, and with no where to go.

2. TriCube

An article was published about Chic-Fil-A's stances in my school's paper last spring to bring awareness to the issue. There's one at my school, but like your's, it wasn't shut down because of similar reasons. Although, the University could have easily had it closed since it's located in a food court actually owned by the school.

However, a Facebook campaign was created to boycott the chain. Which, honestly, I think is the best option to go with, since Chic-Fil-A gets to continue their free speech, but as more people become informed, they lose customers. It's being passive aggressive.

It doesn't bother me any, really. I personally don't like their food, so they aren't getting any of my money to begin with.

3. Paper Heart

Why not just set up donation cups right by the restaurant then donate that to a pro-human rights group? I mean, a boycott would be best, but I just can't see most people boycotting it. How many people do you know actively boycotting Target, or even simply shop there? I'm sure that people would donate out of guilt if nothing else.

4. Meropspusillus

While freedom of expression is all great and good any university would be all over banning any company that advocated against interracial marriage. That's just a belief too, right? Free speech is one thing, that's important. People should be allowed to say "Hey, I don't think gay people should get married." However, by allowing Chick-fil-a on campus, the university is economically supporting that message.

5. steel03

Who decided that Chick-Fil-A is allowed to be soooooooo delicious when it is run with such backwards priniciples? :frowning2:

6. I don't have a Chick-fil-A at my school, and I've never tried their food, so I can say that I hate them without any reservation :king:

7. JRNagoya