1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CNN: Lesbian denied communion at funeral

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Fintan, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Fintan

CNN: Lesbian denied communion at funeral

[YOUTUBE]k5TzYXh5xz8[/YOUTUBE]​

2. Mogget

Heard about this earlier. Here's Fred Clark's really insightful commentary.

3. Fintan

Who is Fred Clark? I've never heard of him?

4. Katelynn

Yet another reason why I refer to myslef as a 'recovering Catholic'. The Catholic Church - they preach that we should love one another as Jesus loved us, yet they cant quite seem to get over that over & live by that one themselves. They should make up their own bumper stickers that should say - The Catholic Church: Preaching How People Shoud Live Contrary To The Bible Since Its Founding

5. Mogget

Fred Clark is a progressive evangelical blogger, most famous for his years long, page-by-page destruction of the Left Behind series by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins. He's also a journalist and seminary graduate.

6. Zontar

Why would she complain about being denied service at an organization that is well-known for hating gays?

Saying the Catholic Church should be censured for excluding gays is like saying the KKK should be censured for excluding blacks. It's well-known that the core of these organizations' ideology is "Hate Everything!" They're not going to change. So why complain when there are organizations which will accept you, and not go down in flames as society begins to wise up? There's plenty of gay-friendly churches out there.

#6 Zontar, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  7. Fintan

^ I think this is a bit over the top.

I think the woman's point was that the priest shouldn't have just denied her communion during the funeral mass. I am not exactly sure whether the Roman Catholic Church's policy is to a) pull a parishioner aside and explain why she will be denied communion; or b) give communion to anyone who asks for it (which is the position of most mainstream protestant churches). I think either one would have been a better course of action, which is why the Church hierarchy has sided with the woman.

Also, from my experience with Roman Catholics, they don't seem to be as willing to switch denominations, as many protestants would in these situations. Catholics either stick it out within the Roman Catholic Church or quit attending church.

8. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm angry at this story, it honestly infuriates me but I suppose I need to not let it do so. It's not something I can control...

9. Myturn

Just another reason that I have been pulled from organized religion of any kind.

10. Loras

Im am not a strong catholic but I have grown up in a catholic family going to church with my grandma and grandad is something ill always remember. I went to a catholic school and have received communion. If i was to be denied the right of communion even though i dont have strong catholic deliefs i would feel betrayed and very offended. Not all catholics hate gays in my country its a very small minority that do.

11. Fintan

^ QFT. I am not Catholic -- but even though I view all Christians as equal and could go elsewhere, I'd be pretty upset and offended if I was denied the rite of Holy Communion in my own church.

12. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Disappointment. That is what this is to me...not anger...just disappointment. That poor woman, being judged at her own mother's funeral. When will the Catholic church learn that exclusion will just widen the gap between them and with what should matter the most...their congregation, their followers. I left this church about 4 years ago and stories like this reaffirm my decision. What has that priest achieved by declining her communion, and what right does he have? He is not God, he is only a human representative. If he wants to do it properly he should ask for a sexual history on all his congregation...does he decline communion to unmarried couples or divorced individuals...what about prostitutes? Congratulations on a job well done mister!