1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Origin of the Wedding Ceremony

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by LailaForbidden, Mar 4, 2012.

1. LailaForbidden

Turns out the wedding ceremony actually originated in Ancient Greece. Two men would perform it to show committment and dedication to one another. Women would get a celebration, but not a ceremony, as they were seen as property. Men, viewed by society as free, independent individuals, were expected to have a stronger bond between them and the power to leave the relationship. As a result, a ceremony was created to solidify the union. The wedding ceremony - reconstructed to fit heterosexual marriages - was later adopted into christianity. Interesting, huh? So much for "traditional" values...

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    HA is all I can say.

3. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Due to the brevity of the post, I'm left with a few questions.

Were same-sex unions given the same benefits and/or recognition as heterosexual unions? Or was there some noticable difference between the two? And the ceremony isn't all that important; it's the idea of marriage that really matters.

Most importantly, though, I'll need you to cite your references, so I can review this information myself; you don't bring a gun to a gunfight unless you know it's loaded.

4. Porphyrogenitus

Yeah... I'll second the call for sources.

Are you saying that there were no ceremonies for marriages/unions ever, in any culture throughout the world, prior to Ancient Greece? Or simply that it's the direct ancestor of our current Western marriage ceremony?

5. LailaForbidden

I'd like to apologize for this post. The person who informed me of this got his information from biased sources (and, truthfully, i should of followed up on the information before posting. I apologize) However, i think that it is steeped in the some truth and i will post on that once i have researched it. thanks

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good to know. I perhaps lessen the capitalization of my "HA" lol, in lieu of sources. But none the less, I wouldn't doubt some truth in these. I do remember reading a lot about Ancient Greece and the male marriage because it would make them fight harder knowing their partner is fighting beside them and they want to be able to bring their partner home alive. So I look forward to some more sources :slight_smile: