1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guilty verdict in New Jersey webcam spying/suicide case

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by olides84, Mar 16, 2012.

1. olides84

Dharun Ravi found guilty of hate crimes for spying on gay Rutgers roommate | Reuters

(Reuters) - A jury convicted Dharun Ravi of hate crimes on Friday after he used a computer webcam to view his Rutgers University roommate kissing another man in a case that sparked a national outcry over gay bullying.

Ravi, 20, faces 10 years in prison on the most serious charges of bias intimidation against Tyler Clementi, 18, who jumped off the George Washington Bridge days after learning that his gay encounter was seen by webcam. Ravi, who invited others to watch the feed from the camera mounted on top of his computer, was not charged with causing Clementi's death.

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While I don't fully agree with the amount of years since he should have gotten more. I guess in a way they are right that he didn't cause Tyler's death. He didn't tell him to jump off a bridge, nor tell him to kill himself. He invaded Tyler's privacy yes, but on a legal standing, he did not directly cause Tyler's death.

3. olides84

He hasn't been sentenced yet--I think it's up to the judge to decide. To me, it's just all real sad...

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure how I feel about it. I don't think Ravi had hatred in his heart when he did what he did... I think he probably wasn't comfortable with gay people, and I think he probably did think of it as sort of a prank. I seriously doubt he ever had any idea it would result in harm to Tyler Clementi.

But at the same time, it did make Clementi feel unsafe in his own room, and by reaching the verdict they did, the jury sends a powerful message that bullying and intimidation won't be tolerated.

5. Zontar

This. Give him 5 years and everyone will learn their own lessons from this mess.

6. Emberstone

they wont learn.

most people have no idea this case even exists, and if they do, they arent going to pay attention to it.

oh, and i just checked. yahoo has a poll up, and currently 69% of users agree with the conviction. That surprised me. usually, the right wing crusades that turn every article into "obama is a monkeyfucker" in the comment section go crazy with the polls on the front page.

7. davidallen

i agree with this

8. redstormrising

the statutorily permissible sentencing range on a second-degree is 5 to 10 years. he won't get the top end as a first offender, and i wouldn't be surprised if he got the 5. the possible deportation consequences are probably of bigger concern to him right now, though. i bet he's wishing now that he took the plea deal he was offered for probation . . .

9. ANightDude

Idiot. He should have taken the plea deal that was offered to him (that his other friend who was in trouble took and is pretty much off the hook) and sucked it up. Community service, counseling (or something like that) and the ability to fight off deportation. I've got no logical idea why he would have turned that down, or why the lawyers would have. It was actually a pretty sweet deal. Now he's a convicted felon facing deportation back to India.

10. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was reading about the case, and the first plea offer was a couple years in prison and some probation and community service afterwards, which he turned down. The second offer was *entirely* community service and probation, no prison time, and efforts to help him avoid deportation. It seems really clear that the DA did not want to try the case and was trying to be reasonable with him to settle it.

It seems unfathomable why he chose not to accept the 2nd plea offer, unless perhaps there was a cultural/familial pride issue, or an arrogant defense counsel. It's possible that he'll get some of the charges thrown out on appeal, but it also seems like the judge was really cautious in interpreting the statute to the best of his ability, so I'd hope it stands as is.

The defense probably cost at least $50-100,000, and an appeal is undoubtedly going to add substantially to the bill. The whole thing is sad.

Edit: Great minds think alike :slight_smile: I posted just as A Night Dude posted.

11. Emberstone

oh god... I THOUGHT THERE WAS MORE TIME!!!!

The hive mind is forming... soon, it was grow in complexity, break free, and take over the world.

12. ANightDude

Excellent. The plan is working just fine.

13. redstormrising

the co-defendant got into pretrial intervention, which is not a conviction. he wouldn't have gotten that with a second-degree crime (it happens but quite rarely). but he did at one point have a plea deal for straight probation. maybe he was confident he would win if he took it to trial, but that's a big risk to take

14. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just read a very exhaustive article in the New Yorker. Apparently Ravi's attorney was pretty cocky in a press conference and said, in effect, "He's not taking the plea for one simple reason: He's innocent." Which... certainly wasn't true of some of the lesser offenses in any case. So it sounds like it might have been bad advice from counsel.

I hope Ravi doesn't try to argue ineffective counsel or poor advice or something to get the conviction overturned.

15. sanguine

meh give him the 10 years, you need to set a standard that things like this should not be tolerated, imo hes digging his own grave, i just wished he would hurry it up and sleep in it already.

sure he didnt tell tyler to jump the cliff, but he made another human being feel beyond like shit, made another human being feel like he is lower than dirt, made another human being feel like he wasn't accepted anywhere for all time to everyone.

i just hope tylers death was something like a martyr, for all other gay suicides gone under the radar, to make some actual change.

ravi doesnt deserve a slap on the wrist kind of sentence, he needs a sentence that will smack him in the face.

#15 sanguine, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  16. Fintan

and with that he is off to find out what gay harassment is actually like, in prison.

also, i believe as the only citizen in his family, it means the rest of the clan will be deported.

justice is a .......

17. Harlequin

Well, I didn’t follow this case too much, but I definitely heard of and know of it. The thing I’m wondering is, how did the judge determine that it was a gay hate crime as opposed to just a “regular” invasion of privacy or some such? As I recall, Ravi and his lawyer worked very hard on trying to rid the case of the “gay hate crime” aspect, and wasn’t that just speculation anyway? Was there actually evidence found of Ravi’s homophobia or something?

Forgive me if I ask too many questions; as I said, I haven’t been following this case much, but now I’m curious.

18. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

He should have taken the plea deal. He should have taken the plea deal. He should have taken the plea deal. It's by his own choice that he didn't take the plea deal, and that is final.

Really, I could have forgiven him, to some extent, for pulling a retarded prank that got someone KILLED. His behavior was irresponsible and mean-spirited, but he could have just admitted that he was in the wrong and stayed a free man. He had the choice. He decided he didn't want to show remorse. It was his call. The judge didn't make the call for him.

19. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is very specific language in the New Jersey criminal code, some of the strictest in the nation, on what constitutes a bias crime, and there were several definitions. The one the jury convicted on had to do with determining that the victim felt intimidated or experienced fear. There was evidence from the guy that Tyler Clementi hooked up with, and evidence from Clementi's own actions (talking to an RA at the dorm, notifying the school that he wanted a change of room because he felt unsafe, etc) that was presented to the jury, and they found that evidence as indicative that he felt intimidated and fearful as a result of Ravi's actions.

Everyone involved felt that was the weakest of the charges, but the jury deliberated carefully and felt it was warranted. Whether it will survive appeals is another story.

20. redstormrising

He'll have to exhaust the direct appeal process first -- which I have no doubt he will do -- before he can bring an ineffective assistance of counsel claim in a petition for post-conviction relief. I was surprised the jury convicted him on the bias intimidation charges, so I would be absolutely stunned if he didn't appeal.