1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Prisoners in Concentration Camps

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by TruffleDude, Mar 16, 2012.

1. TruffleDude

2. jayhad90

jayhad90 Guest

Interesting, i did learn about concentration camps in middle school, but i know this is going to sound like a dumb question, but was theresoul purpose to instill fear into the nazi controlled germany? From what ive read thats what ive assumed, but then why only kill certain people and not others of a certain group? I mean was it to send people back so they spread the atrocities done there? i know you probably dont havethe answers :slight_smile: but it was interestingto learn the statistics, I wonder why the percentage was so high amoung homosexuals.

3. Ridiculous

Does it mention how, after the war ended, all of the other prisoners were released but the a good deal of the homosexuals remained captive because being gay was illegal?

4. TruffleDude

Your writing is a bit unclear. Are you asking me if the purpose of concentration camps was to instil fear into the German populace? If that is what you are asking, well I would say yes, for some groups that is part of the reason for which the concentration camps existed. More specifically, as the article spells out, some homosexuals were not rounded up and shipped off to death camps, and if they were something like 50% survived - scarred for life I am sure. However, the camps were also used to commit mass genocide on a scale that was unprecedented. There are a lot of theories on why this sounded like a good idea to Hitler and the rest of the nation, but in my opinion it is a kind of group-think mixed with fear and xenophobia. This is why I begin to worry when I see groups in this country start to talk about what a "real" American is. In Germany the idea was Germany is for Germans, and foreigners, Roma, Gays, Blacks, Jews, etc were not considered "true Germans", hence extermination and reeducation.

btw....this was not a dumb question. In fact, I was quite pleased that someone took the time to read the article and discuss it on here. That to me shows intellect, the opposite of stupidity and sloth.

---------- Post added 17th Mar 2012 at 01:32 AM ----------

I did not know that. Imagine going through the camps and then being thrown in jail once the allies took over. Horrible. A lot of these guys were castrated too.

5. Merlot

They did it to make room and to balance the budget. The subsequent terror or fear certainly ensured compliance from the rest of the herd.

6. JRNagoya

If this is a topic you're interested in, I suggest you watch the movie Bent.Bent (1997) - IMDb

It's based on a play. Really sad, but heartfelt.