1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ottawa Citizen: A gay jock takes off the mask

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Fintan, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Fintan

A gay jock takes off the mask
    OTTAWA CITIZEN, 17 March 2012

2. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What a great story and great young man. I hope it helps other athletes and young people.

3. JRNagoya

Excellent story. One I wish was around when I was in high school back in the 90s. I'm glad so much has changed since then. Hopefully one day articles like this will be treated as non-issues completely and LGBT students will never have to fear being out at home, in school, or in public.

4. Aeon Magus

Nice find, Fintan. Just goes to show that, with courage and determination, you can MAKE things work out for you. He's been through so much, it must have been quite a relief when he finally came out to his sister - followed by his brother and then his parents. He's a brave guy.
    And to JRNagoya: As long as there is ignorance in abundance, it'll be an issue. Let's just hope that one day the haters will pull their heads out their [cough] and get on with Life.

5. BudderMC

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Simply wonderful. Only in the "Life as a Gay Jock" video (the 4th one I believe) does he look gay cause of how he grew his bangs. But otherwise he doesn't look gay and I think he's unbelievably brave for doing this...

7. PerfectInsanity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had stumbled upon Scott's coming out videos on Youtube back in June and it was really the catalyst for me coming out to my parents. I told them the day after viewing those videos. He was also one of the first non-stereotypical gay role models I had while pouring over Youtube coming out videos, which helped me as I continued my process and gave me the idea that people just might accept me as gay. I'm sure his courage in coming out, making those videos, and living open in the sports he's involved in will help many more gay guys to come. So awesome that they did a news article about his story too!

8. Xeno

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, that story is awesome.

9. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've actually seen many of his Youtube videos before.. he's such an amazing guy, with a very important story to tell. He's definitely a role model for other gay kids out there, especially gay kids in sports. I just wish even more people were as courageous as him, and would come out. Gays in sports is probably one of the last "taboos" out there.

10. Doctor Faustus

It's just so moving. Inspiring stuff.
    Take care, Scott, wherever you are. x