1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Globe and Mail: Video game’s gay characters spark flame war

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Fintan, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Fintan

Video game's gay characters spark flame war - The Globe and Mail
    Globe and Mail

2. Aeon Magus

It's a relationship OPTION. If you don't want a homosexual relationship in the game, don't romance the same gender. Simple as that. :dry:

:roflmao:

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find it hysterical alone that this has become news. I'm a video game addict sometimes, but I honestly rarely expect my games to be found in places like the Globe and Mail. I expect to see it in Game Informer. So to me it's just "HOW IS THIS NEWS?" As for the one reviewer who said that BioWare should make note of their Christian audiences to me I just have to say that they may be the most predominant religion in North America, it doesn't matter. They can be the most predominant mole on my body, they're still not going to be considered by a video game company. You don't like the gay aspect, don't buy the freaking game. Simple as that. (or I suppose DLC not game). And oh they didn't know about the gay thing till they bought it? Here's an idea, choose to have a relationship with the woman, or just play it for the adventure, it's not a freaking mandatory thing that your character HAS to be with the same gender >_>

4. Zontar

Meanwhile, the ENTIRE GAME consists of shooting and killing people, a prohibition explicitly listed in their Ten Commandments, supposedly carrying a hell of a lot more weight than the writings of any old Joe Prophet condeming homosexuality.

With the moral logic of most mainline Christians today, it's amazing that federal law is ever followed consistently.

5. PianoNate

That was my first reaction too, Zontar.

OTOH, now I want to buy this and play it! :eusa_clap

6. Emberstone

video games have always been homoerotic. expecially games of this type, which are highly male-sexualized.

muscley, hypermasculine men in tight fitting outfits...

7. PianoNate

mmmm ... I think this calls for a banana! (!)

8. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Hmm...

A little bit of communism never hurt anybody.

#8 Christiaan, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  9. lazyboy

lazyboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe its time I bought a game console.

10. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I thought the same thing, but this problem goes way beyond video games and gaming culture. I remember when DADT was in the process of being repealed; republicans said that there would be a mass exodus. Army chaplains said gay soldiers went against their religious beliefs and threatened to resign, completely overlooking the fact that the very existence of the soldiers that they're allegedly counseling goes against everything they claim to believe in the first place. Shelling a house full of civilians and blowing off a Muslim's head with a M16 is perfectly alright as long as you claim to do it for God and America, I guess. Bioware has had gay characters in its series going all the way back to KOTOR, and I can't even remember when that game came out because it was so long ago. Like 10 years ago, maybe? Jade Empire even allowed threesomes. Anyone surprised at this point is just completely idiotic and consumed by hatred for anything different. Not worth anyone's time at all.

11. Emberstone

you have to understand that there are two main classifications of christians. Real christians believe murder is wrong at all cost, do not support the death penalty because jesus rejected it in one of the single most famous scenes in the bible, and they do not judge other people, as the bible says god, and god alone is allowed to judge, and anyone else declaring another person is worthy of heaven or hell is committing a sin against god.

on the obverse, you have the fundementalist christian, who supports the death penalty, and will turn a blinds eye to murder if they agree with why the person should have died. They also are addicted with a psychosexual way to judging and telling people they are going to hell.

of course, equating a video game to real world murder and war is silly.

A fundementalist christian is the first to sin, and the last to admit it (most never truly will in any sincere way). They are also the first to superimpose their own sins on others.

A real christian is the last to sin, but still does, but the first to admit it sincerely, and repent for it. They do not turn their backs or criticize others for sinning, and embrace them.

and video games are video games.

12. Artemicion

How the hell is this even news. As for those "omg-it's-against-my-beliefs gamers'" just need to suck it up and stop whining. FFS, just look at what kind of games Japan is churning out...

13. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Emberstone, I see it as a bit more complex than even that. Every sect of Christianity has a unique history, and it's a little tricky to make broad, sweeping statements about any of them.

For example, the Episcopal church in the USA might be more accepting than most toward gay people: however, if you read between the lines, you will see that the Episcopalians haven't changed in their beliefs at all. It is the LGBT community that has changed, more than the Episcopalians. At one time, the gay rights movement was simply an outgrowth of the "Sexual Revolution," and gay sex was just a part of it. However, now the LGBT movement's supporters are talking about protecting young people from bullies, and the Episcopalians are seeing a lot of wholesome images of nice gay families raising adoptive children. The Episcopalians are essentially not too different from how they have always been, but the images they are being presented with are different. The Episcopalians are still one of the more down-to-earth sects, though. They still have essentially the same character and ideals they have always had.

But the point is, every religious group comes from a different background and past, and all of them are going to have unique reasons for changing their stance on this issue. The LGBT movement is going to have to make its case to each of them individually.

14. sanguine

LOL i dont know about you guys but i romanced Kaiden and YES IT WAS AWESOME, anyways with that being said its always the minority the speak the loudest, dont pay them any attention, they're just seeking attention from anyone to spread their escapades.

15. Mogget

Not really. The Levitical commandments against homosexuality and the Exodus Decalogue are from the same part of the Old Testament, the Pentateuch, which tradition says was dictated to Moses by God. Actually, there's really no biblical basis for the prominence of the most famous Exodus Decalogue (there's more than one) in Christianity. The Decalogue isn't referenced in the New Testament, so it should logically be considered thrown out along with the rest of the Old Testament commandments. The moral codes of the Gospels and Epistles carry far more weight.

16. Cascade

I'm sort of laughing at the headline. Flamewars happen anywhere about anything. It's not big news when a portion of the internet gets mad at anyone/anything.

17. Fintan

^ qtf.

18. Zontar

Sin weights notwithstanding, they're still bitching about homosexuality in what's effectively a murder simulator from the viewpoint of Christianity. =p

19. dreamcatcher

This is so ridiculous. If they're gonna be assholes, they should at least be consistent assholes :dry: Can't pick and choose their beliefs.

20. Level75

Not going to happen. Pro-life when it comes to abortion. Not so much when it comes to the death penalty or war. Love thy neighbor and compassion and all that. Except in the case of the poor. Respect authority and government. Unless your president's a liberal.