1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Rights Petition for Marriage in New Hampshire

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by JRNagoya, Mar 20, 2012.

1. JRNagoya

Hello,

I just wanted to point people towards a current bill in the New Hampshire legislature, HB 437. Should it pass, the right for gays and lesbians to marry will be revoked. The actual text for the bill can be found here: HB 0437.

There's currently a petition to stop this legislation at Gay Rights Petition: New Hampshire State Legislators: Don't Repeal the Freedom to Marry | Change.org. If you have a moment, please educate yourself on this issue. New Hampshire is only one state, but it will have direct repercussions for everyone here on this board. Thanks.

2. SkyDiver

I am quite confident that any such effort to repeal marriage equality in NH will ultimately be defeated. I'm signing anyways! :icon_bigg

3. kris B

You know I have been thinking about this and the Prop 8 case. Since the 9th circuit court decided that the Prop 8 was unconstitutional because it took back the marriage right without a rational reason, wouldn't the same logic hold if New Hampshire revoked its marriage law?

4. JRNagoya

You would think, but when it comes to self-righteous politicians, I wouldn't put it pass them to make humanity illegal. Just look at the number of bills aimed at women and their personal health issues being submitted, debated, or passed. This is really one f'ed up Congress we have at the moment.

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

You are completely right. Its one of the most important things that have come out from the whole thing. The only thing that I'm not too sure about is how long we have to wait until we can base other cases on the results (excuse my lack of proper use of terminology :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). I believe we have to wait until the other side decides to stop appealing the whole thing, but I could be wrong.

Either way, it should be good news at the end. We could finally stop worrying about both fighting for marriage equality and then fighting to keep it once we get it.

6. ANightDude

Well, it failed by 202-133.

7. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    YEA, AWESOME, THE BILL FAILED!!!! (!):eusa_danc(!):eusa_danc(!)