1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Pride Parades

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by rx79g, Mar 20, 2012.

1. rx79g

So a lot of people may hate me for this, and understand that I'm obviously not knocking having gay pride, but some of these things are absolutely ridiculous. They honestly make me even more worried about coming out someday because I'm afraid people will assume that I'm going to jump up on a float in my underwear and "dance" obscenely. I feel like displays like that are hurting the cause of gay rights by justifying so many stereotypes about gay promiscuity. That's my two sense worth at least. Anyway, is there anyone else who feels the same way or am I just totally out there on my own and about to get slammed by hate-mail?

2. Emberstone

most of the people at them are not being obscene, and they tend to be normally dressed.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was in the Pride Parade last year, and since I was working for a television station marching in it, wasn't shirtless, didn't have only underwear on, and most of the people except the ones on the gay club's float had clothes on.

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

You are actually far from being alone in disliking pride parades. I was actually one of the people that really used to dislike pride parades because of the same reasons you mentioned. I didn't appreciate the nudity, I didn't appreciate that they were reinforcing many stereotypes, and I pretty much blamed them for people hating us. That all changed when I went to my first Pride parade.

I do agree that some pride parades are pretty horrible (in my opinion), but some other parades are actually REALLY amazing. It really does depend in your city. With either parade, though, you will find that most floats are not full of semi-naked hot guys dancing around. Most floats are of just people showing that they aren't afraid of who they are.

The only thing I hate about the pride parades is how the media show cases them. They only seem to get pictures of the drag queens and the naked people. The loving parents, the bands, the GSA's and the bikes all get ignored for some reason. I actually put together some pictures from our pride parade if you are curious to see how a "real" pride parade can look like :slight_smile:

Also, don't be afraid of assumptions. Yes, a lot of people might assume that you will be naked up there on a float, but don't let that bother you. That's their problem and not yours.

5. JRNagoya

I'll be marching in my first one here in Manhattan this summer. I'll have to get back with you and let you know how it goes. I do share your sentiments, though. The first time I came across a Pride Parade, it had a number of guys dressed as nuns while others held signs that read, "Bert and Ernie are gay." I can appreciate the tongue-in-cheek humor now, but back then it really scared me off ever identifying as gay.

6. Merlot

If you come out, some will think of you that way for sure but you will know otherwise. I hear ya on the silly behavior but its just people trying to have fun. You never know though, keep an open mind, one day you may very well be dancing your fabulous self on a float and loving it!

7. Fintan

I wouldn't say I am offended by pride parades. But I would go so far to say that, if I had a choice, I wouldn't want the 'Pride Parade' to be the image that comes to mind when a heterosexual thinks of the gay community or me. ;P

8. Emberstone

sometimes, it doesnt help that the kind of people who dress up in the obscenely nearly naked kinda ways are not the kind of people the vast majority of the human race want to see in a leather g-string with their naked asses hanging out, grinding against each other.

I can understand pride about being who you are, but call me old fashion, but what you do to each other in bed (or the sex sling) belongs in the privacy of your own house (or secret, passworded sex dungeon.)

9. sanguine

oh geez stop being such a prude and laugh alittle and have fun, thats the main purpose to the parades in the first place, i myself use to hate and loath the fact that gay people would walk around half naked, and when i look back at it now, i realise i also supported being masculine and admonished flamboyancy.

i just think its internalized homophobia to some degree, because when your out of the closet, who gives a dam, you learn to have fun, embrace that the LGBT is diverse, and you move on.

i went to my first pride parade this year with my sister and we both learnt alot, its not about cross dressing and walking down the road half naked, its about being free to be who you want to be

10. TruffleDude

Cool photo album TheEdend. Have you made it out to SF Pride Week yet? If not, it is worth the pilgrimage. I moved into the city on Pride Weekend 2002, so this year is my tenth anniversary!

11. Jonathan

[YOUTUBE]0_OQeA3GiRw[/YOUTUBE]

12. rx79g

Thank you so much for posting that album. I feel like an ass for thinking that pride events were all nudity and stuff, but I'll partly blame the media. Anyways, sorry if I offended anyone. As a side note I still do think some of the prides out there are innappropriate but that one looked like a great time.

13. TruffleDude

It's amazing how much the media can cause us to perceive things through a certain lens. Try avoiding the news and advertisements for a few months, and see how differently you feel about things than those around you.

14. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love your photo album TheEdend, I can't wait to go to my first Pride someday. There was one in a nearby city here last year, I remember my dad said it made him ashamed. Ehh, I'll have him cheering on in the sidelines with me one day. :wink:

Oh my god, all this has really made me want to go to my nearby annual pride festival now. Uhm, coming out deadline anyone? Haha, but it does sound fun.