1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miss Universe Canada Abruptly Kicks Transgender Contestant Out of Pageant

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by amwm2wm3, Mar 25, 2012.

1. amwm2wm3

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Miss Universe Canada Abruptly Kicks Transgender Contestant Out of Pageant

I can't believe this. Well, I can, but I guess that's part of the problem. This woman is gorgeous and is very clearly a woman. And there's no way that all of the other women are completely "natural" either. I'm sure one of them have fake nails, hair extensions, a fake tan, breast implants, etc.

2. Atticus

The competition also only lists age as a requirement. To my knowledge, there are no specifics on sex/gender, as there are certainly no requirements for plastic surgery, race, hair color, etc. The program is owned, I believe, by Donald Trump. It would be interesting to see if he ever has anything to say about this.

3. Pilgrim is hot

not a big fan of beauty pageants, don't like society giving the shallow impression that judging peoples value solely on their looks is okay.

With that out the way I think this is a disgrace, the rules are flawed who gets to decide who classifies as female, physical form is only one tiny factor of gender.

I mean seriously who is this going to hurt if she stays in, answer no one the ignorant people will forget there issues with it and move onto the next issue, meanwhile your telling millions of transgender people there not actually female and don't deserve the same classification, this is the kind of thing that makes me lose hope of equal rights. :bang:

4. Caoimhe Fayre

this sort of makes me want to punch someone. poor girl must be feeling terrible. what the hell is wrong with people? they must just be scared, because she's so much more beautiful than the rest of the contestants, that she would win the whole thing and bring our trans friends some semblance of respect.

seriously, I've never been into beauty pageants anyway, but this is nuts. obviously they have failed to realize that nothing is more beautiful than diversity, and nothing is more beautiful than a human being who is being true to herself.

I sincerely hope that a discrimination law suit is brought against the company/companies who run this pageant, and that their commercial supporters have the guts to withdraw any support from the pageant in protest.

5. aidan

So would a FTM be able to participate in this?

6. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gosh, people are so ignorant. Do they not see she is truly a woman? :dry:
    Way to ruin somebody's dreams, jerks. :dry:
    I'd start a boycott against these people if I could, but obviously they don't sell anything...

7. Caoimhe Fayre

plus if you take a look at Jenna's pictures, she's GORGEOUS. what idiots to exclude such a beautiful woman... hey, where is Miss Universe Canada being held? maybe there should be some protesters there, to draw attention to the fact that transphobia, like any other form of hate, is ugly.

8. LimePopsicle

LimePopsicle Guest

What the heck? This is wrong :dry:

9. PurpleCrab

I'm speechless. The only way I can imagine the owners of that pageant would go around a lawsuit is if one of the rules for participating was to have never had any surgery, but I doubt that's the case here.

10. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've got to say that is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. I would really like to see the requirement list and what she fell short of. What is ever more amazing is the fact that Donald Trump can have anything to do with beauty pageants, the man's hair looks like a crop circle, and as much as I appreciate irony this is just wrong.

11. Hot Pink

She should have been allowed to stay. Yeah, it's a beauty pageant, but think about what it represents. Like it or not, these kind of events are seen by our society as the epitome of femininity. Allowing a trans woman in would have been a huge, positive message to all the young transgendered girls out there who worry about their looks. Trans women don't get much in the way of heroes.

12. BudderMC

While I agree that that would be awesome, doesn't that put her on the platform as some sort of 'novelty' or 'example', when she's just trying to participate like every other woman there? Makes me kinda think back to American Idol & Adam Lambert towards the end of the season. People would be judging her based on being transgender (the novelty factor) rather than on whatever people are judged on in beauty pageants.

Disclaimer: the article won't load for me, so I'm going off what I read here :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. Hot Pink

So she shouldn't be allowed to compete based on the risk of her being a novelty? I think that's a poor excuse. How do we keep people from thinking that we're abnormal if we hide ourselves away? It just reinforces the idea that being trans is something that needs to be hidden and we should be ashamed of it.

14. BudderMC

Well, it's not so much a case of 'hidden' as it is 'something that doesn't need to be said'. Like I put, I can't see the article, but if she's as gorgeous as everyone is saying she is, I'm assuming she's transitioned and then it shouldn't be an issue. Like we advise a lot here on EC, as long as we treat it like a non-issue, a lot of other people will too. Of course, that's more difficult to do when you're in the limelight I guess, but still...

What I meant wasn't an issue of being ashamed, but treating it like a non-issue. What better way to make it 'normal' than not making a point of it? I mean, people don't exactly make a point of 'everyday' things.

I defs see where you're coming from though. It's a touchy subject for sure, and something where my advice is infinitely easier said than done.

15. seeksanctuary

Transwomen ARE women, and they are born women. Just because they may have to correct a few things through surgery doesn't mean they're not women. :| Donald Trump is a fool.

16. Naren

Just... what the hell? This makes no sense. Jenna should sue the lot of them. Discrimination in this case is utterly pointless, besides being completely wrong. I sincerely hope she receives compensation. If this happened to me, I would raise hell.

17. Snail

That is most sad! She does look so lovely! I'd compare her to my fairy-friends at the bottom of the garden, so delicate, so dainty! To me she looks like a female Homo sapien, no two ways about it!
    ~ Snail

18. Of Mice and Men

Couldn't have said it better myself ;D

19. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

I do not support beauty pageants in any way shape or form, women, children, to me it just feeds a false sense of image, and reinforces societies focus on superficial visual stereotype. Fake shallow people, being judged by equally fake, shallow people.

Just my opinion.