1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

California students may be asked if they are gay

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by kris B, Mar 30, 2012.

1. kris B

2. Zontar

Go screw, LA Times.

3. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I like the intent, but I'm not sure if it's something that should be put on an enrollment application. I'd be more supportive if it were an anonymous questionaire, and not an official document.

4. jargon

Is this really that weird? First off, it is a voluntary-answer question. Not something a student would be pressured into answering or anything.

My school in NH asked that when you first sign up for housing. They just left a blank space and basically said if you were anything but straight, feel free to say so, and we'll try to make sure you dont get paired with a homophobic douchebag as a roommate (I'm paraphrasing of course). I don't see that this puts that much more pressure on anybody.

5. For the reasons proposed in the article, I would agree with solarcat that an anonymous questionnaire should be able to accomplish the same thing.

6. Jonathan

In this given scenario, an anonymous questionnaire does sound like it would work.

As for generally putting a question pertaining to sexual orientation on an application as a voluntary response question, I have no problem with that either. There was a question about my sexual orientation on the application of the college I'm attending now. I answered it and am receiving an additional small scholarship for increasing "diversity" in the college.