1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Study offers solid data that extreme homophobia linked with being gay, closeted

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Chip, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And also with having very authoritarian parents. Read it here.

The study design is pretty innovative in using reaction times to specific stimuli as a measure of self-identification as homosexual, regardless of whether the subject admitted it. I look forward to reading the actual study.

2. Airplanes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Very interesting read, thanks for posting!

3. RedState

Makes sense actually....I think a lot of people already think this.

I know this guy from another fraternity in college that seemed obsessed with gays. Almost every conversation involved him saying "he's gay" or "he's a queer" about everyone. When he wasn't trying to start talk about other people being gay (which as I look back must have been some sort of self-validation) his conversation always evolved around the terms "fucking faggots" and "I hate those faggots". Add to that a lot of really weird sexual innuendos that a straight fraternity boy should not be so consumed with.

Last anyone heard of him he was living in San Francisco with a "friend" he met in Atlanta. "They're just good friends that hit it off" someone once said.

Yeah, someone is hittin' something alright.

Obviously, everyone that hates gays...or at least gives the appearance of it...is not some closet case--but you do have a good number that are (i.e. Ted Haggard).

I suppose it comes from some sort of self-loathing

#3 RedState, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  4. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've honestly bought this theory ever since I discovered the Adams study out of Georgia, and - I can personally attest that during the stages of extreme self-loathing (related to my sexual orientation) I absolutely presented..not necessarily "homophobic," in applying to all gay men, but certainly an irrational "anti-flaming" attitude. And from reading the stories of the fine people on this site, I don't seem to be so alone in that.

It's funny, with as much crap as we give Freud, a lot of the base principles (such as with the latent homosexuality displayed in the study) of his theories do seem to have at least some credence to our behaviors...

Anyways, glad someone continued on with the Adams research :eusa_clap

#4 Browncoat, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  5. Harlequin

This reminds me of the character Carl Luce in Catcher in the Rye, who was constantly keeping a "faggot list" (keep in mind "faggot" wasn't a bad word back then) and pointing out who was and wasn't gay, and why, during his schooling with Holden. I also recall my entire tenth-grade class coming to a consensus that he must be gay. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But yes, this does make sense, in that those who were raised to very strict guidelines of what is right and wrong may view anything different as wrong, especially in themselves.

6. olides84

One of my favorite columnists has a good rant about this...

7. FuryOfFirestorm

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As Shakespeare once wrote: "Methinks he doth protest too much".

See "Haggard, Ted" and "Craig, Larry" for further details.

8. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One should remember to note that it does say "extreme" homophobia. So people like Brian Brown of NOM and of course the Westboro Baptist Church :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. But honestly, anyone who thinks Brian Brown is straight...well...get your eyes checked.

9. Leif

When I first heard about this my first thought was this :[​IMG]

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have worries that this study will cause people to assume that any homophobe is queer (since the logical capabilities of the lay person are not exactly amazing), but I feel like this study explains a lot of people fairly well. For example, it explains my mild homophobia while I was questioning...