1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canada Conservative: Accepting Gay People "Cruel and Unloving"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Level75, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Level75

Canada News: Alberta premier shocked at Wildrose candidate

You know, I wondered how long it would be before I would come across some anti-gay douche who would include friends and family of gay people into the mix. Certainly, people who are open about their sexuality are brave to do so in the world we live in. But I often find myself thinking about the people I've come out to. Like my best friend (who I have talked about before around here), as well some people in this activity group I'm part of.

So far, people have reacted unanimously positively and that's a huge part in being able to be comfortable in your own skin. So I just thought it's particularly disgusting to paint the quality of being accepting of others in a negative light. Not an angle you see often though...

2. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The Wild Rose Party scares me. It seems like Republican-style far right policies are gaining favour out west.

3. Bradley

They don't call Alberta the "Texas of Canada" for nothing.

I think if anything, these comments show the people of Alberta that no matter how friendly a face the Wildrose party tries to put on for the election, the fact remains that the party was founded by a bunch of backward redneck politicians.

It's also interesting to note that the leader of the Wildrose party didn't condemn the remarks, but simply stated that his views will not shape party policy. Given that they currently only hold 4 of 83 seats in the provincial legislature, hopefully we don't have to worry about them too much.

4. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They're gaining a lot of steam in the media compared to previous years, and a lot of Albertans are very upset at the PCs because of Steinach (although Redford seems popular). They're definitely at the very least going to increase their presence in the legislature.

5. Bradley

I've even seen projections of them getting a majority...scary to say the least.

6. Emberstone

ironic that conservatisem has never actually been the basis of any countries formation. Even gun rights in america is progressive, as before, the people tended to only be allowed weaponry if they were in certain classes of society or positions, such as military.

7. starfish

Ha, that's great. There are a lot of things that I like about Texas. However the intolerance is not one of them. I'm going to start calling Texas, "The Alberta of America."

Holy cow that is a great point. Funny to think that Georege Washing and Thomas Jefferson were once progressives.

8. Fintan

Today's polls have the Wildrose Party at roughly 43% and the Progressive Conservatives (PC) (current government) at 36% in Alberta today. But thats a big jump for the PCs, as last week it was 42-28. It seems like the Liberal vote in Calgary has collapsed over the past week to the PCs, giving them a boost, but the Liberal vote in Edmonton seems to be holding steady. Monday's election should be rather exciting.

9. Bree

And this is why I try to avoid Alberta. They're lil' Stevie's biggest supporters.

10. Ridiculous

“You see, you can live the way you were born, and if you die the way you were born then you will suffer the rest of eternity in the lake of fire, hell, a place of eternal suffering.”

What the actual fuck. How can the rest of civilisation allow people like this to have any kind of audience. Of course there isn't a hell, but if there was I'd do everything in my power to assure I would end up there if it meant I'd be separated from people like Allan Hunsperger.

11. RedState

"I don't want to live in a country where no one says anything that offends anyone. That's why we have Canada"--Bill Maher.

12. Bree

Perfect!

13. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mm, yeah, I saw that poll from CBC last night. It'll be very interesting.