1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Kenneth James Weishuhn - Another LGBT Suicide

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Revan, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. This just breaks my heart. I'm so heartbroken at this unnecessary loss.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know... don't get me wrong, the It Gets Better project is worthwhile...but it still isn't getting better.

4. Somethings obviously not working. I'm saddened that we live in a world where a child can be bullied to the point they see no other choice than to take their own life. It's completely unacceptable.

5. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

:tears: This is terrible....

6. Level75

You know, I don't even like the word "bully" for these kinds of things. It has a lot of connotations attached to it of innocent playground fights and silly pranks people do to each other like wedgies and spitball attacks. That's plainly not what is going on here. Seems more to me like good old abuse and neglect. You have kids being systemically harassed by other kids and being made to fear school. And you have the school staff that turn a blind eye for fear of taking sides in a hot button issue.

7. That's a good point to raise. If I were a teacher (considering it now), I'd do everything in my power to make sure that every LGBT teenager (or perceived) knew that my door was always open. This has to stop, it just has to.

8. starfish

Oh I disagree. It is better than it was, it is just that we have still have a long way to go.

Still stories like these sadden me. I don't know what to say.

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In some ways it's getting better...but in other cases it isn't. I dunno how to explain what I'm getting at.

10. Level75

I have similar feelings about this and "It Gets Better". To echo some sentiments across the web, I feel as though it'll get worse before it gets better. A lot of progress has been made recently. That's bound to put some people seriously on the defensive.

Kind of like how people say the middle road has changed. I feel as though, as most people continue evolving on the issue (to borrow President Obama's choice of wording), the most extreme are only becoming more extreme.

If it had been for any other reason, people would look at this systematic harassment going on and find it reprehensible no questions ask. But because it's happening because it's happening to LGBT kids, you've got politicians fighting over it, clouding the issue with smokescreens about religious freedoms, undermining it as typical playground fights, or even condoning it.

11. Vesper

The more gay teen suicides I hear about, the more I believe that children are pawns in the sick, dangerous games that adults play. What's one child's life to the bastards at NOM, AFA, FRC, and all the other anti-gay organizations out there?

#11 Vesper, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  12. Level75

Damage control.

13. This is quote from a comment on Queerty's article about it. We have to all stand up and band together more than ever, make it known that we won't accept this, we won't stand for ONE more death.

14. timo

This is so SO sad... don't have any words for this. Even though I don't believe in heaven I hope he's in a better place now :frowning2: Times have changed so fast the last 20- or 30-something years and it has gotten better, but when things like this still happen it's nowhere near good enough... there's still a lot of work to do.

15. dano22

dano22 Guest

I am a religious person but if these conservative fundamentalist are so "pro-life" than why don't they care about the suicides of young people just because they are gay. That does not sound so pro life to me.

16. Steelers91

Apparently there was death threats texted to him, as well as a hate centred facebook page. I know it doesnt bring Kenneth James back but there better be some legal action taken against those responsible.

17. Doctor Faustus

It's just sad.

I'm angry, sickened and most of all bewildered. Your childhood should be one of the happiest times of your life, filled with amazing memories. Why anyone would want to take that away from a fellow human being I cannot understand.

Grr, what is wrong with this world?! :bang:

18. Pain

Pain Guest

This is a tragedy that makes me so sick... Children pushing this kid's insecurities to the limit... They don't even think about any repercussions this would have on his family, friends, neighbors... Why would anyone care that much to hurt someone else?

19. Waffles

Poor guy. :frowning2:

A majority of the world wears a cone. They only can somewhat see what they're doing, and then the cone prevents them from seeing the consiquenses. People do stupid-ass things and think "nothing will happen", but they're so oblivious to the consequences of these actions that it's dangerous. Because of these dumbasses, two parents now have to suffer the loss of the LIGHT OF THEIR LIVES. They just lost something that can NEVER BE REPLACED. And this is because some stupid pricks decided that it'd be okay to harass a kid because of his sexuality. This world makes me sick sometimes. If I could meet these dumbasses IRL, they would have been beaten to an
    UNRECOGNIZABLE PULP. They went too far... and caused such a sweet boy to throw away his life...

Kenneth, you deserved SO MUCH BETTER than what those kids did to you. You're free now, away from those who hurt you. Your tormenters will NOT go unpunished. If you can... rest in peace. Your memory will live on, and we'll do ALL WE CAN to make people more aware of their actions.

20. SkyDiver

This has got to stop!!!!!!!!!!!! We need to stand together and fight the forces of homophobia WHEREVER AND WHENEVER WE CAN!