1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7 Years Old and Proud to be Gay!

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Noir, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Noir

I realize this article is from earlier this year (February, I think) but I found it and it just made me smile to know that something like this can happen, that someone so young can be so confident about labeling himnself as "gay" when a lot of us on here are tripping over our feet just to have ourselves accept it. If you haven't read this article, I hope it puts a smile on your face, too! :slight_smile:

Amelia: When Your 7-Year-Old Son Announces, 'I'm Gay'

2. Just Passing

Though it is arguable he is rather young to truly understand the concept of sexuality fully at the age of seven that is a wonderful story all the same. All the best of the luck to the kid as he grows up and the parents who are wonderfully supportive. :slight_smile:

3. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

^Agreed.

But either way this still deserves an: Aaaw!! :grin:

4. Lewis

Although he's pretty young, I still think that's so cute (and I never think things are cute( and I'm jealous of how lucky he is to be able to avoid being in the closet for eternity! I certainly knew something at that age and wish I did the same!

It's so nice that even children are feeling comfortable enough to accept that they're gay and I personally believe that's what is needed to show that it definitely isn't a choice. I'm so happy for this kid! :slight_smile: (I certainly did smile!)

5. Emberstone

I can understand transgenderisem in 7 year olds and younger.

But sexual attraction, which is at the core of sexual orientation, doesnt manifest itself before puberty. That in essence is at the challange lgbt youths face, because they grow up with the expectation of "oh, well, I will grow up, fall in love with someone of the opposate gender, then get married and have kids," which conflicts with the sexual feelings when they are old enough to actually have them.

I know alot of confidently straight guys who talk about their love of "My Little Ponies: Friendship is Magic", and I know alot of confidently gay guys who love football and beer pong and other machismo.

I just fear that someone who is incapable biologically of sexual attraction is making a choice to label themselves something their body doesnt signal yet. What happens if they come to realize that they actually are attraction to the opposate sex?

to label yourself something that hasnt manifested itself just seems odd.

6. sanguine

i think this was posted already by some other person awhile back but i would like to repeat what i said in that thread

you arent too young to know when your gay.

ive known i was gay since i was 5, i wanted a boyfriend or a husband, i think you guys are giving a child little credit than what he deserves, i think if we lived in a more accepting society or environment in this kids case, then we would see more kids around his age embracing the fact that they too may have a boyfriend/husband or girlfriend/wife in the future rather than the trivial hetero relationship which is drilled into society as the norm

7. KaotikPrincess

I do agree that he may be too yong to fully understand sexuality but some kids are brighter than others and are quick to make decisions like that so who knows! lOl

The lady writing the article reminds me a lot like my mother, when I came out to her she was so supportive and she wiped the tears from my face and said that she loved me no matter what I was. I was 14 then and I am 24 now and she is my best friend to this day. I love parents like that and I plan to make sure my children have the same luxury :]

8. ShayminFan37

I think he is right, he knows best. I remember in elementary school when the gurls brought in magazines with all the celebrity gossip and stuff... I was the only guy reading it too. I only read it at school because I was afraid of what people would think if I walked into CVS and asked for that magazine... I'm happy this kid can be as happy and comfortable with himself as he is.

9. Hot Pink

I want to say that a child so young wouldn't know, but I knew I was a girl when I was five. I also liked girls when I was little too, but like most lesbians I tried to hide that. Well, I tried to hide everything. It was easier to pretend to be nothing than to be myself, I suppose. I'm glad that the would is changing so that children are truly free to be themselves.

10. BornAnew

Wow pretty inspiring how someone so young has such courage. Even if I think he's too young to understand, but who are we to know, only he knows what he feels. Saying that though I agree with Emberstone, as far as sexual attraction is concerned, that doesn't manifest itself before puberty...and that age would be extremely early for a boy to start puberty.

11. Lewis

I think being gay is more about attraction, not just sex. I know that even before puberty, I was physically attracted to boys, not girls, but when you're brought up to believe the norm is to be heterosexual, you ignore it.

I seriously don't believe that this kids too young to know that he's gay and don't think having completely sexual thoughts about the same-sex is the entirety of being gay. My female cousins (under 8) all have their little crushes on male band members etc. so why can't this kid have a crush on someone of the same-sex on TV? I certainly knew something at that age, but it just didn't have the publicity it has these days. I never got to see shows involving gay couples.

12. Sayu

I've read it on Trevor earlier :slight_smile: He's cute and his parents are really cool with it! :slight_smile: But I am not sure whether he can already know...

13. RedState

Sorry...I think this is complete nonsense. 7? Are you serious? Come on, give me a break.

Mark this day in history I actually agree with something Emberstone said...sexuality and such matters develop in puberty...unless this kid's parents have been feeding him hormone supplements, I seriously doubt he has reached that point yet.

Kid that young can not comprehend, nor appreciate, matters of sexuality.

14. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    Remember that scientific evidence shows that your sexuality is determined very early in life, possibly before you're even born. Studies show that a child's first crush can happen as early as when your four years old. I remember having a guy crush when I was only 9 years old.

15. RedState

Eh...sorry...just don't buy it.

16. Noir

I personally agree that he might just be going through a phase, that it's possible he's too young to fully understand such feelings, but I still find it inspiring nonetheless. Just the fact that someone so young can be so bold about something so significant and be so comfortable with it seems....refreshing to me. Especially when so many teenagers are stressing about it every single day. It just makes me reflect back on all of that and wonder, "is it really that simple? Maybe it is" in terms of it doesn't matter who or what you are as long as you're comfortable about yourself. If a seven-year-old isn't worried about it, should the rest of us be?

17. sanguine

wrong,

i can honestly vouch that ive known that i was gay since i was 5, i had a crush on my dads best friend, growing up i had a few crushes on the male teachers also, girls never did it for me, if anything puberty only made my denial of same sex attraction harder to ignore x9999999999999999999

just because you might have not gone through this, doesnt mean everyone should be like you in your experience

---------- Post added 19th Apr 2012 at 09:41 AM ----------

i agree with this

18. RedState

Sorry..still don't agree. Just my opinion.

19. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure that he can know for sure yet what that means... but I had crushes on guys in 2nd and 3rd grade.

20. NickD

Let's see, I think I knew that I was different since I was about 6, but did not really understand in what capacity. When I saw another boy (and even older guys for that matter) I knew there was some attraction there, but nothing beyond that I really really wanted to be their friend.

Fast forward to puberty, and thus some semblance of sex education, and I could kind of put together that I was sexually attracted to men. However, I didn't really want to acknowledge that, so back in the closet I went until recently.

As far as a 7 year old knowing that he is sexually attracted to other males, I don't know if I quite buy the fact that he understands what he is saying. It may be that a parent listened to him and guided his thoughts to that conclusion, but I don't know if I believe that he fully understands his assertion. But what do I know, I've never met the kid.