1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay activist's beating death prompts murder charge

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Alexandria, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Alexandria

Gay activist's beating death prompts murder charge - Nova Scotia - CBC News

...For all the preaching I do that Canada is far more safe and accepting; this crap happens. Worst part is, this guy, because he was already in care, will likely get off with little more than a slap on the wrist. Disgusting. He needs to be nailed with a hate crime, bar none.

Hopefully, the police will do what is needed and treat this as the hate crime it is. More than that... hopefully Taavel's life will be among the last to be lost to such hatred in this country. :icon_sad:

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :frowning2: Not happy...

3. DryOasis

DryOasis Guest

Just awful. Stories like this never fail to deeply sadden me.

4. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

Second degree murder for beating someone to death? What a joke. Some days I hate my country.

5. Bradley

Question number one should be who the hell gave this guy an unsupervised day pass? He had a history of mental illness and violent behavior.

The alternative being what? This crime is by definition second degree murder.

6. Kidd

Kidd Guest

The alternative being first-degree murder, I'm assuming. Premeditation can be made in the instant before a hammer swing or a punch. Pausing for just a few seconds before committing a violent act can be enough in the United States to justify a first-degree murder charge. I'm not familiar with Canadian law, but I have to agree that I think this guy deserves more than just a second degree murder charge.

7. TheAMan

This really breaks my heart. I just can't believe that some people feel the need to kill someone just because they are different.

8. Bradley

I agree he deserves it, but thankfully our court system relies on established laws and fair trials instead of charging someone based on how angry we are about it.

To be a first degree murder charge in Canada, the act must be planned AND deliberate (with some exceptions, ie killing a cop etc...). Any murder committed in the heat of the moment is second degree murder. Premeditation means that an intent to kill was established in a state of calm blood, and not under the influence of violent passion. Although the moment can be brief, it must be proven that the person was of calm mind when they made the decision to kill to qualify as first degree murder. Either way it's a life sentence.

I'm not trying to defend this guy, but remember that everyone is innocent until proven guilty, and they must charge him based on the crime committed. The fact that the man was killed because he was gay (aka a hate crime) will serve as an aggravating factor during sentencing, and should not be used to trump up the charges against the accused.

9. Alexandria

WhileI agree with the theory, Bradley, the fact is this guy is a mental case. Hes already gotten off of assault charges before, and he will again. He wont get justice.

But I will be pleased to be proven wrong for a change.

10. Oh my god, this is awful

11. Bradley

I guess it depends on what you consider justice. He will either spend the rest of his life in a psychiatric hospital or prison, there is no question there. Either way he will never be part of society again. If justice means revenge to you, then you may be disappointed. I think permanently separating him from society and giving him proper treatment for his mental illness is justice too though.