1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbian Scout leader ousted in Ohio; parents upset.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Alex94, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

2. Drakey

technically boy scouts can do this because they're a privately owned organization (though funded by the government, figure that one out) so they can discriminate against whomever they wish. I would not be allowed in boy scouts today for my atheism and homosexuality, it's just not a good place to look for acceptance. One of the requirements to be a boy scout is to believe in a god.

3. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

But what my issue with this is it is based on her sexuality, and she had the job for a while and no one had an issue with her until now.

4. Drakey

either they didn't know, or somebody needed an opportunity to get her removed from the job.

5. julia

The organization said it believes Scouting is not the right place for youngsters to be exposed to issues of sexual orientation.
    So stupid. Love that the rest of the parents/grandparents didn't care she was gay, though.

6. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

Mm, either way I still feel its not right to remove someone from s job they did extremely well because they found out about their sexuality....Just makes no sense to me at all...

---------- Post added 26th Apr 2012 at 09:09 PM ----------

Ya, that surprised me.

7. Drakey

this world is a pretty senseless and mean place :/ we just gotta take these things in stride in the hopes that it will be unheard of in the future.

8. sguyc

Not really surprising. Boy Scouts is a Christian organization that has a clear history of rejecting homosexuality. The same thing would happen if say a catholic priest was discovered being gay.

9. zeratul

zeratul Guest

Does the law not protect those under employment from wrongful dismissals on prejudiced grounds? It says that the supreme court has upheld their position prior, but does it not say that they must be dismissed with severance or damages?

10. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

It does, but unfortunately I think that since the scouts are a private organization they are aloud to hire/fire who they want to a certain extent....Its not clear where they draw the line though...

11. seeksanctuary

No shit, considering I highly doubt the rest of the leaders are asexual. "Heterosexual" is a sexuality, too! Should we just not have leaders that have any sort of sexual attraction?

12. Noir

Has anyone on here looked up and signed the petition themselves? I want opinions on how safe it is because it requires giving some personal information (street address, city, etc.)

13. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the Boy Scouts suck simply because of this. I'm not saying it doesn't provide good experience for boys but I just don't think it's right for them to be exclusionary of who work for them, plain and simple, private organization or not.

14. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

It should be very safe, you would have to ask someone else about that though if you want to be sure.

15. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

I feel bad for her, but fact of the matter is, she knew their stance on her sexuality. Why would she want to be a part of an organization like this anyway? I wouldn't.