1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pope representatives calls for Catholic alliance with Muslim and Jewish groups

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Level75, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Level75

2. Zanich

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some of those comments get me a little down. :\

3. Loras

Kind of made me laugh, sounds like the catholic churchs is paniking!!

4. Emberstone

he was party to the massacuring of one during world war II, and has a vast history of demonizing the other...

he should add women to that list, and have a hat trick.

5. RedState

Who? The Pope?

As far as being party to his activities during the Second World War..yes, like all 10 year olds back then, they were all for killing the Jews because they SO understood all that.

You do realize that it was required that youth in Germany, especially during the later years of the War, that they must join the corps of the Hitler Youth by law?

6. SkyDiver

You know they're desperate wheeeeeeeeennnn.........

They're not going to win this. Not ultimately.

7. Emberstone

All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Better to stand up against genocide and be victim to it, than to tolerate it, and enoble it.

of course, if you learn your history, you learn that catholicsem's near 2 thousand years of anti-semitisem was the foundation upon which germany built the holocaust. it was not some random idea the SS invented, it was rooted most deeply within the rhetoric and behavior of the catholic priestly class/papacy.

You can't give the pope slack just because it was mandatory... if he was a true follower of christ, he would have rejected it, instead of be party to it. at least, the bible makes that clear.

8. RedState

Eh..sorry...nice try but just don't buy it.

Once again, he was like what..9 or 10 at the time? I don't think he was a member of the SS nor do I think he handed out Zyklon B at Bergen-Belsen.

Look, I'm a Baptist..and far be it from me to defend the Catholic Church, but to say the Pope (considering we are talking about the one we have now) was a party of what happened...well, is just fucking stupid.

But go ahead and make that argument...let's see how far it gets you.

#8 RedState, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  9. zeratul

zeratul Guest

Who would be a true follower of Christ at 10 years old, and be able to articulate the meaning of their faith as only a philosopher could?

The true measure of culpability is the intention of the act. And the true measure of maturity for the church is whether they can allow someone with a headline-scandalous sounding type of history to lead them, when they see that they are not actually culpable.

Does common sense no longer rule?

10. Emberstone

says someone with a avatar of a women who routinely spouts anti-semetic hate speech...

What happened in germany was built upon the catholic churches lead in anti-semitisem, which the german people built a new nationalist movement around, and which the catholic hierarchy turned a blinds eye upon, even after the genocide had began.

since then, this pope has a long history of continuing the very same additudes of intolerence and bigottry, including demonizing muslims by judging them upon the writings of a over-zealot priest centuries prior during the crusades, a genocide led by the catholic hierarchy for the sake of gaining power. He also scapegoats women (we just saw his hierarchy demonizing nuns for following christ, instead of catholic dogma), gays (fairly self explanatory, yet funny, since catholisem is not exactly known as a bastilian of sexual purity if you learn your history of the hierarchy, and thats not even including the modern time, where they are more easily caught), and even harry potter, which the pope said was demonicly posessed, and seduces children into satanisem.

We are talking about someone who was raised in a ideaology, and never once challanged it, and carried it over into a life of serving a institution who both enabled the greatest attrocities of the modern era. Heck, if you learn your science of propaganda, the hierarchy too was the foundation of what Groebells did.

The adherents to catholcisem are in a vastly different feild from the people who self-perpetuate their power within the hierarchy.

And you would think a ten year old would understand the very basic concept of right and wrong. like it or not, he hasnt changed all that much. he just wears a different uniform. Heck, if you want to get dogmatically metaphysical, Saint Malachy himself demonized pope benidict over 900 years ago.

The history of the papacy is the history of some of the most violent atrocities of human kind.

All this pope has done in his entire life of divide and tear down everyone else, hiding behind the frock of a priest.

he is so unlike the two prior popes, who worked to reach out, and bring people together.

11. RedState

My avatar has nothing to do with this fucking discussion...but once again nice try.

Oh! How could I be so stupid. I forgot! You were in Berlin in the 1940's...so you know exactly what it was like. ^_____^.

There is no question that the Catholic Church has a seedy and questionable past..there is no question that Rome turned a blind eye to what was happening all over Europe.

But it wasn't Rome, the Pope or whoever that launched it all. It was a brilliant politician that tapped into his own hatred and tapped into the fear and uncertainty...not only about the Jews, but about a loaf of bread costing billions of reichmarks...about the reichmark being so worthless that people would actually use them as wall paper...about an incompetent government that did nothing but print money with nothing to back it up with to pay their mounting tab for the first World War...about the German economy being in ruins. It was a skillful leader that exploited the weaknesses of all of these to little by little, gain seats in the Reichstag, and then control it... still, that was not enough for Hindenburg to appoint Hitler Chancellor...but he finally relented.

My point is, if you want to talk history of WWII Germany, bring it on.

My second point is to make the claim that it was the Catholic Church that was the start of all this...well to make that claim it just makes you look foolish. Did they turn a blind eye, absolutely. But you are making it sound like the Pope was having daily briefings with Eichmann, Himmler and company at SS headquarters.

This was brought on by a vast and complicated network and formula established by high level SS bureaucrats and carried out by fanatics...principles of the Catholic Church,and the Pope, were the furthest thing from their minds. The Church of the Reich...and more importantly the Church of Adolf Hitler was the only church that mattered.

You know that any male that did not join the ranks of the Hitler Youth their parents would be arrested?

Did you know that during the last days of the war if a child deserted or refused to join the Hitler Youth both them and the child's parents would be executed (if they could find them) for treason on the spot?

So, please, continue with your "this 9-year old should have stood up and done something even though me and my parents would have been hung" argument...because I'm talking notes on what not to say during a discussion on this and I don't want to interrupt your train of thought.

#11 RedState, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  12. Fintan

^ THIS. I am not a huge fan of the Roman Catholic Church either. As an Anglican, we have some serious differences of opinion. But when I see posts like the above, so factually full of errors and untruths -- I some how end up defending the Catholic Church as well.

13. Dalmatian

I don't really like your style of "if you study history", "if you learn science" and so on, implying your educational superiority while throwing around half baked ideas. But no matter.

I just wanted to comment on the above quote. First, every pope works for Church and not for people, God, goodness or any other concept a utopist would like someone like them to support. John Pauls were no better than Benedicts. Furthermore, cardinal Ratzinger was brought to Rome in 1981. Out of 27 years of papacy of John Paul II, Ratzinger was his right hand for 24. Be sure that John Paul II had the same agenda as does Benedict XVI.

#13 Dalmatian, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  14. Porphyrogenitus

Maybe I'm picking up on the most abstruse and utterly irrelevant point in this thread, but in what possible way is "gloria olivae" ("glory of the olive") a demonisation of Pope Benedict?