1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High school principal disinvites alum to speak at graduation, after finding he's gay.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Chip, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Religious bigotry and discrimination is alive and well in Michigan, according to this article.

2. zeratul

zeratul Guest

Re: High school principal disinvites alum to speak at graduation, after finding he's

The name of the school sounds like a catholic school. Unfortunately, catholic schools have this problem across the board, what with their pontifex maximus out there preaching homosexuals are sinful creatures and what not.

3. Emberstone

Re: High school principal disinvites alum to speak at graduation, after finding he's

I was going to write up a post about how this administrator should not be allowed to oversee children if they are going to remain incapable of judging a student by their work ethic and contribution, instead of judging them by purely arbitrary, ultimately meaningless labels...

... but then I saw michigan, a state represented in part by Michelle bachmann who includes among her represented areas a school district that has a epidemic of teen suicides brought on by the ignorant ideologies spouted by people who market hate for personal gain.

4. dairyuu

It's a shame that this can happen, but again, it is Michigan. Catholic schools are best remembered as reservoirs of the love and compassion of jesus, provided that you are white, straight, and christian. (and this is from a person who went/goes to catholic school, and is only one of those things). Disqualified for nothing more than being engaged! America once again embodies liberty and egalitarianism, its two selling points.

5. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

I wish Bachmann was from Michigan, but sadly she's from Minnesota :icon_sad: There is a follow up article where it sounds like the edict came down from on high and the principal actually doesn't agree with it and might be leaving the school. I'm really sick of church "leaders" ruining the good that should come from their religions. It's too bad people still make their kids go to schools like this.

6. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I read somewhere that the students have been discussing holding graduation somewhere else where the alum can speak. THe alum is also giving a presentation at a local college about this issue, and the principal has asked to speak as well, so I think what mnguy said is correct.

Pretty amazing that this sort of bigotry can exist on a large institutional level but... hey.

7. Emberstone

crap. I always get the two states mixed up for some reason.

8. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

You aren't the first. For some reason, I always have to stop and think whether it's MN or MI that Ms. Bachmann is associated with... which is odd, because MN is generally pretty openminded (at least in the larger cities) and MI... not so much :slight_smile:

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Yeah I remember seeing this I think even on Yahoo news, it saddened me.

10. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

This just saddens me, but you can't expect much else being a cathlic school. I'll try to redeem my state my telling you that my college does have the month of out-tober. So we aren't all bad