1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Undercover at a Christian Gay-to-Straight (JiM) Conversion Campe

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Caoimhe Fayre, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Caoimhe Fayre

Undercover at a Christian Gay-to-Straight Conversion Camp

Oh. My. God.

I have so many friends who go to JiM retreats. I never had any idea what goes on at them, as a woman with SSA I've never been invited to anything similar, and now I'm thanking God I wasn't.

How can they not see the kind of damage a weekend like that would do? How cult-like that is? New Father? Old Father? WTF? Are they for real?

I am still undecided about the majority of the ex-gay movement, though I agree kids should be excluded from any ex-gay "ministry", but I definitely think anything leaning towards THAT type of experience should be illegal. He paid $900 to go through that?

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All Ex-Gay camps are damaging in some way, shape or form. It's just not a proper thing. I don't even need to explain WHY it's not proper.

3. Level75

I imagine the staff gets more out of it than the "journeyers". Like the opportunity to relive high school. The chance to sound smart by asking open ended questions with no real answers. And the chance to rub their loins on impressionable men.

4. Level75

...speaking of The Good Men Project, I remember reading something else on it once. Comes to mind when I read about this bizarre conversion camp experience. Mostly the backwards notion that being gay means we eroticize normal male/male interactions because daddy didn't love us or whatever.

From Hugo Schwyzer on gay-straight male friendships

That's at least my experience of it. Nudity, on its own, does not excite me because that's really all it is- the absence of clothes. So if anything, I would think gay people would know the difference between "intimate" and "erotic" better than most.

5. This is horrifying. I always read that these camps were damaging, but I never knew what actually occurred there. It makes me wonder what the kids' camps are like...

6. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

So all I have to do is combine two Halloween costumes (The Grim Reaper & Gandalf) and I can set up a private retreat and charge homosexuals $100s of dollars to fix their emotional problems? And I get to hold them, and touch them while they have boners?

Oh my God! All this time, I've been posting on web forums, and its become apparent that I've been doing this all wrong!!! Where do I sign up?

7. sguyc

Ya thats my experience as well, regardless of any of the shower fantasies I have lol. Same with sports and the contact there.

8. FuryOfFirestorm

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I could have gone to a therapist and a hustler and gotten the same experience for less money.

The writer seemed oblivious that Dave wanted to do some "follow-up therapy" with him.

And of course, the ex-gay apologists and Evanderpicals have already dropped their turds in the comments.

9. Lad123

Lmao!!! I didn't see it that way :roflmao:

The article though is just disturbing in so many ways...

10. speedracing22

:roflmao: