1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self-Defense While A Transperson of Color

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Pret Allez, May 3, 2012.

1. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    CeCe McDonald pleads guilty to manslaughter

Shit like this makes me sick, especially that part where her rights were violated all the way through and she got railroaded into a plea agreement.

I think justifiable homicide needs to be reconsidered, especially what counts as "provocation." I my own state for example, the justification of self-defense available to a person who provokes a fight. Well, when who you are "provokes" a fight, that sounds a hell of a lot like trans criminalization to me...

2. InsertNameHere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm going to start this topic with this:

We don't know whether the fatal stabbing was necessary in her protecting herself. We only have the basic idea of what's going on, so let's not jump to conclusions about how she had no choice when we don't know for sure what happened. If it's an "If she..." statement, that's fine, but let's not assume knowledge we don't have.

When it comes to the initial provocation and legal treatment though, that's definitely worth talking about.

However, one thing made me a bit hesitant to take everything in this story to heart:

"interrogated without a lawyer present"

That doesn't necessarily mean she wasn't given a right to a lawyer. If they informed her of her rights and gave her a chance to call a lawyer, then it's her fault that she didn't have one with her.

I can see where there could definitely be some discrimination against transgenders and blacks in the legal system though, and I wouldn't doubt it.

I'm not even stating my opinion here. XD I'm just saying, with stuff like this, you have to really examine everything that happened. The last thing we want to happen is for someone who didn't discriminate against her to get labeled as prejudice based on false pretenses.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The legal requirement for the use of lethal force is not "necessity." It is whether or not a person could reasonably believe such force was necessary to prevent death or serious bodily injury to herself or another person.

4. InsertNameHere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm just saying the exact events that transpired are not known to us, just the basic idea, so I was suggesting to everyone to focus on discussing the other parts of the issue.