1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Buy Employee Wrongly 'Outed' Denver Man

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Jonathan, May 3, 2012.

1. Jonathan

Best Buy Employee Wrongly 'Outed' Denver Man - Yahoo! News

Alright, so I know this doesn't really have anything to do with LGBT news since the man isn't really gay, but figured I'd just post it anyway. Obviously the employee is completely in the wrong for doing something like that, but am I the only one who got slightly annoyed when the man was talking about his reputation being "tarnished" because some people thought he was gay?

2. Kev

Kev

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just read this story and I was also a little irked that he said his reputation was "tarnished" and that he was "humiliated". Oh well.

3. pianomike

Well that is can "tarnish" a reputation to a degree, just like if a person is charged with murder then years later is found innocent, that cloud of junk is still over them. It ruins their name to a degree. Now I don't think it's to the same degree to yes I think it is "tarnishing" to a degree.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It was an unfortunate choice of words, but I could even see them being used as a straight ally who was wrongfully outed. I also felt pretty embarrassed when I was coming out too, and that's when I even wanted to be out...

5. Bradley

People thinking you are gay could make it harder to get a job in many places, could get you fired, it could cause people to attack you or your property, it could cause people to end relationships with you and so much more. Just because you are OK with being gay doesn't change the fact that there is rampant discrimination and homophobia all over America. His reputation was tarnished, as people thinking this about him could actually cause him financial, social, emotional and physical harm.

In a perfect world it would not be an issue, but last time I checked, America is not a perfect world for LGBT folks...A few days ago a preacher got cheers from the audience for telling parents to beat their gay children.

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Or indeed their straight but effeminate children.

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I still find it also hard to believe a Best Buy employee did that and honestly WHY? I mean there's got to be more behind this than just a random employee wanting to hurt someone he doesn't even know lol.

8. Bradley

If it was a restaurant, you can just spit in the rude customer's soup. Best Buy employees have to get creative I guess.

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's possible that the employee is a psychopath. Either way, in my view it's a question of no consequence whatsoever if this recently fired person dies of starvation.

10. Bradley

That's a bit of a stretch...He was probably just some kid trying to get back at a rude customer or just an immature idea of a joke.

This isn't some earth-shattering event, whenever a guy leaves his facebook open, it a pretty standard gag for other guys to change their profile to "interested in men" and like as many gay things as possible.