1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cameron 'prepared to back down on support for gay marriage law'

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Lark, May 6, 2012.

1. Lark

Lark Guest

Cameron 'prepared to back down on support for gay marriage law'

Looks like Cameron may not be prepared to follow through with his original promises to legalise gay marrige by 2015. Noticed this article when I went downstairs to read the papers.

What do you guys think? Will he back down now, after all his promises, or do you think this is just the coalition becoming fazed after their poor results at the Elections?

2. aidan

3. British Lad

British Lad Guest

The Daily mirror is are version of Fox News.

4. Lark

Lark Guest

True, but I did see the same story on the Sunday Times, and they are normally reliable. :\

5. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My jaded and cynical reading: Tories need something to distract people from tanking economy and recent corruption scandals... And make a huge light-effects show out of gay marriage, basically by making Cameron look good as he "battles" all the people (all THREE OF THEM!) who oppose it, with both sides making as much noise as possible.

6. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really don't think he's going to back down, but it is likely that the proposals will be delayed due to the recent economic circumstances. One thing we do need to remember is that the Coalition has only said that they'll introduce it before 2015, so these news articles saying that they're 'delaying' them isn't actually offering any sort of substance. It's no surprise that it isn't in the Queen's speech given that there was no promise it would be enacted in 2012, and it would be slightly premature to draft legislation when there's a public consultation still underway. Putting it in the speech now would just give opponents fuel and increase their supposed 'victim' status.

I understand why people are being rather impatient and nervous about this, but it's a case of biting your nails and waiting. Labour had to do a similar process when they wanted to repeal Section 28 a decade ago. It's going to be very difficult for him to do this given that he is a Conservative Prime Minister and is still battling to 'modernise' the party with such fierce resistance from the 1922 committee, but I do think he'll be able to get it done before the end of term. It sucks that we could potentially have to wait for a while longer, but I'd rather wait for a year or so and have the law implemented than have him rush ahead now when there's a lot of economic (and political) turmoil and see the plans crash and burn due to the Coalition facing collapse.

They've promised to get it done before 2015 and that's the pledge we should hold them accountable too. Just because they aren't seemingly doing it uber soon doesn't necessarily mean it will not happen at all, so let's wait and seeee. :slight_smile:

7. Fintan

It will be interesting to hear what The Queen says in her speech to Parliament next week -- will she mention gay-marriage or not?

Cameron's in a tough spot because he stuck his neck out for gay-marriage despite some in his own party being against it. Now his party received a slap from the British people in the council elections -- Cameron is probably rethinking a lot of things right now, but I doubt anything has been decided this early -- its too soon.

8. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Equalities Minister has released a statement regarding same-sex marriage in the Queen's Speech: Clicky.

No huge surprises, and nothing there that would make me think that they're abandoning the plans completely. I personally think concentrating on the economy for the next year or so would give them much more credibility to simultaneously tackle social issues later down the line. The Government have received quite a bit of criticism lately for flip-flopping on a range of issues, and the double-dip recession is only going to add further problems to the political wranglings that Cameron has to unwrap first. I think he has to be rather careful how he proceeds with this, otherwise he may risk sabotaging his own agenda, and we'd then have to wait until Labour get back into Government before there's any feasible opportunity to get similar legislation passed (and who knows how long that would take!).