1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

North Carolina's Amendment One

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by SkyDiver, May 8, 2012.

1. SkyDiver

When will we know the results?

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not till later tonight. But as of right now with 15 of 100 counties reporting, Amendment One is passing with a margin of 61.05% for and 38.95% against....

3. SkyDiver

Where are you getting that information?

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    #4 Revan, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
  5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think more states will be doing this, and the only way to turn it around is with judicial action. (With the composition of the court as it is, I don't see that either.)

Yay for same-sex marriage in 2032.

6. ANightDude

Not like it's a huge surprise. Everyone was really expecting it to pass.

7. WanderingSoul

If predictions are correct and Amendment One passes, it will be to North Carolina's shame. It will also be a victory for ignorance; voters are more likely to oppose Amendment One the more they know about it (that it bans civil unions and domestic partnerships as well as marriage).

If it passes, it will complete the Southern bloc of bigotry (every other state in the South has a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage).

Funny how paranoid the anti-gay crowd is in some parts of this country. Gay marriage is already prohibited by statutory law in North Carolina. What "good" will doubly, triply banning it do, besides send a message to all LGBT residents that their relationships are less than worthy?

Per an ABC News article posted a few minutes ago, it appears like Amendment One has passed. For shame, North Carolina.

Amendment One North Carolina: Anti-Gay Marriage Measure Passes - ABC News

#7 WanderingSoul, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
  8. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm with 40 of 100 counties reporting
    For: 61.13%
    Against: 38.87%

We aren't still in it, but hey at least it jumped up a little for the Against.

9. WanderingSoul

Hey, you never know, maybe they just haven't counted the liberal counties yet? :icon_wink

10. JRNagoya

So the amendment has passed. This saddens me greatly as I used to live in that state. This is a shameful step back for the state and something that will have many, many unintended consequences. I am so sorry to all the LGBT people living in that state. Your lives just got incrementally more difficult. Hate is not a family or Christian value and it has no place in the state's constitution.

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry, I have to correct you: it will have many intended consequences. Like the continued suffering and degradation of queer citizens in the state. But yes, I share your sadness in this.

12. SkyDiver

I agree with you, WanderingSoul. North Carolina will never forget this and it will be an embarrassment for its future generations. This will not be looked on very highly.

It will pass, but all of these laws will be struck down by the SCOTUS in due time.

This battle will be won by somebody. It's going to be us. Supporters of equality.

13. RedState

Other than Mecklenburg and Orange, I don't think there are any liberal counties in NC.

Everyone expected this to pass...no surprise.

14. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And as usual it's a ridiculous thing. I do hope eventually people see the error of their ways....or not. But it's nice to dream

15. SkyDiver

I do believe that the States are on the same train track as Canada, Revan. It may be far behind but I truly think that it will eventually get there.

16. Bradley

Absolutely. Gay rights are inevitable in the USA, each successive generation is more and more accepting of gay rights, and although it will take some time, legal equality will happen. It's unfortunate that the USA is regularly 20 years behind the rest of the developed world in terms of social policy (Slavery, racial segregation, death penalty, gay rights etc...).

17. zeratul

zeratul Guest

As long as the demon that is fanaticism resides within those states, there would be no expectation for improvement.

But, this is a free market economy; you make enough legal restrictions so that certain people can't even breathe, and other jurisdictions are welcoming them, then thats where they can move. I surmise that gradual shifts in vitality, economic development, as well as population will eventually render many backwater states unsustainable and politically irrelevant due to the lack of wealthy population. Unless of course they discover oil beneath their soil.

18. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Unless they can't afford to move or it's simply not profitable or too much of a hardship to do so... Maybe I am just ignorant, but I have yet to find a single social problem solved by free markets. (Also, I would say that our market is too contaminated with corporate welfare, favoritism and regulatory intervention to be considered truly free.)

19. MusicMan12

I'm lying awake in my bed right now cause I just can't sleep because of this. For some reason, it's REALLY bothering me. I keep wishing there was something I could do. I wish people would just be accepting of us...

I know that I will always do whatever I can to fight for our rights. Even when I become a teacher, I will make sure my students are accepting and hate will not be allowed in my classroom. If the topic comes up in my class, I will not be afraid to voice my opinion, even if it does cost me my job.

I just really wish there was something I could have done. This whole year I've been thinking our country is heading in the right direction, but then something like this happens and I begin to lose hope. I hope to get married and have a family one day, but every time something like this happens I get worrisome about my future.

My prayers go out to any LGBT in North Carolina. Know that there are people fighting for you.

20. RedState

That is a very interesting statement actually..about free markets not solving social problems...and one that I actually somewhat agree with.

Really, most of the big ticket social issues on the political scene today (abortion and gay equality for example) really can't be solved by a free market society...because it really doesn't matter what the economy is..what gas prices are..or how much you pay for a gallon of milk...that really is not going to have any impact on changing the minds of those that are passionate about a given social issue.