1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tom Gabel of Against Me Comes out as Trans

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by EM68, May 9, 2012.

1. EM68

2. Allecto

Actually, you should use feminine pronouns for her. Her new name is also Laura. :slight_smile:

3. Pilgrim is hot

hmmm wonder if Laura will be on HRT, wouldn't that change her singing voice completely?

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is pretty cool, I think! I guess I have just been under a rock or something, but I didn't have a great view of punk music or hip-hop. But I recently learned that the Beastie Boys had a feminist transformation too.

Current events challenge my beliefs all the time...

On a side note, I think that the article was pretty good not to misgender her, but I still don't understand why people feel like reporting that she has "gender dysphoria" is up to journalistic standards. I think it's pretty offensive to pathologize transgender people like that.

5. DryOasis

DryOasis Guest

I'm glad for her. Awesome band.

6. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm no expert on hip-hop, but I know quite a lot about punk, and it was kinda queer (for want of a better word) from the get go in the 70's. Loads of punk bands had members who were gay, and in the 90's there were loads of lgbt centric punk bands/movement. One of the still living Beastie Boys (rest in awesome MCA/Adam Yauch, you will be missed) is married to Kathleen Hanna from Bikini Kill who were really freaking awesome

As for the topic at hand, I think it's really good for her to be able to admit this to the public, but what makes me so happy about it is that on the many music blogs/forums I look at, there were scores of positive comments. Also, every time there was a negative comment there would be about 6 different people telling them what a +\/@+ they were being about it, which made me happy.

7. EM68

I was actually talking about my nephew. I was proud of him posting this story and the positive tone of the posts.

8. kyle 1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Very cool :slight_smile:

9. Doctor Faustus

Proud to hear it! Laura, you have a new fan in the UK! :grin:

10. I've heard of a few transwomen who said hormones changed their voice a little, but for the most part (especially if they're past puberty), it won't do anything. Her singing voice should be the same, although she may choose to undergo voice therapy to make her speaking voice more feminine.