1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BREAKING: Obama Embraces Marriage Equality

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, May 9, 2012.

1. Dan82

Gay Marriage Issue Looming, Obama Sits for an Interview

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/...o-speak-about-same-sex-marriage-in-interview/

2. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Re: Gay Marriage Issue Looming, Obama Sits for an Interview

I won't hold my breath.

3. Vesper

Part of me hopes he will come out in support, but the other part fears that if he does take that stance, he will risk losing reelection, which would be seriously detrimental to the gay rights movement in the long run. Imagine the damage that would result with all three branches of gov't. dominated by the GOP.

I keep seeing sentiments along the lines of "he's a coward!", "If JFK and Johnson could support the Civil Rights movement despite opposition, so can he!", and "he doesn't really support us; he's just stringing us along!". I'm of the mindset that these are completely different times than those in the 60s; these days, the Republican Party has moved so far to the right that they're off the charts, and the predatory media is waiting to pounce on each remark by the President that they can somehow turn into a controversy for ratings. He has to watch everything he says and does, because he'll be scrutinized down to the lapel pins on his jacket.

If he supports gay marriage (which I believe he does), he can't afford to rush headlong into things, because goodness knows that the Clintons tried that approach before and didn't succeed.

#3 Vesper, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
  4. aidan

BREAKING: Obama Embraces Marriage Equality | ThinkProgress

5. EM68

President Obama just came out in favor of Same Sex Marriage!! :slight_smile:

6. izzyblue1456

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Obama and Same Sex Marriage

President Obama officially announced that he supports same sex marriage. He is the first president in American history to do so.

7. Bradley

About damn time. This is great news!

8. Vesper

This is amazing news.

#8 Vesper, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
  9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hooray!! This is great news!!

10. Lark

Lark Guest

Wow. Wow...this is awesome! I didn't think he would go so far as to publicly pronounce it in that way. This is great!

About time something cheerful happened after N.C....

11. Dasc Crescent

*GASPS* A politition that is... is... good?
    I can hear the fabric of space and time ripping already!

12. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I stand corrected. Kudos to Obama!

13. MusicMan12

Awhile obviously I am EXTREMELY happy about this, am i the only one who thinks he should have waited til after he was re-elected? Cause what if this is something that is used against him and then Romney wins? Then Obama's opinion isn't relevant and we're back to where we started.
    I'm SO GLAD he supports us though! By far my fav president :slight_smile:

14. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    GAAAH. You beat me to it, I was just about to post this. :icon_redf
    But this IS great news! :grin:

15. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While I understand your reasoning, I think the country is where it already stands. Those who didn't vote for him the first time won't vote for him anyway. Those who voted for him most likely will still vote for him unless they have a problem with how he's run, not his opinion of same-sex marriage, otherwise they're just idiots. And those undecided may swing either way. What's more, more gay youth who are now of age may vote for him because of this. It still is fair game if not a tad more. Right now I noticed in a newspaper in Florida that Obama had 47% and Romney had 44% or something like that. But I think only time will tell in the next six months.

16. Zontar

Helllooooo President Romney...

17. ArcusPravus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    my thoughts exactly

18. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think so. It's a very nice issue for Obama to use in his bid for re-election, actually... Unlike healthcare, there's no entrenched corporate lobby with bottomless pockets to fight it, it's pure Culture War, with roughly equivalent resources on both sides. On the other hand, this is something radical enough to energize even the most jaded and disillusioned parts of his base.

Whether it would all work is of course dependent on umm... which way the swing voters swing :wink: on the issue, - if it's close enough to "whatever, as long as economy improves" (and as long as the economy would indeed improve, of course) it'll work.

19. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with this point, but I still think there's a chance it could potentially backfire on him. We've seen from social statistics that African-Americans are more likely to be against same-sex marriage due to the high rates of religiosity within this demographic, so how that factor will play out could be the deciding factor in whether or not this announcement will blow up in Obama's face. I don't think this position will cause them to go and vote Republican, but the even bigger danger (and likely possibility) is that they just won't go and vote for anybody in the election.

That factor is already partially affecting Obama's re-election chances because some people think he has offered more of the same old politics rather than the 'Change' he pledged, so announcements of same-sex marriage could play into people's unwillingness to go out and vote at all, and that would be the biggest danger if the evangelicals are out in force. Saying that, social conservatives don't seem all that enthusiastic about Romney, so any speculation at this point is far too prematureee. It will all depend on how both parties campaign (and I suspect on who Obama and Romney pick as their running mates).

Saying that, woohoo for Obama. :grin:

20. qboy

Just heard this on the radio - makes a refreshing change from the headlines over the last few weeks! Also heard that in Scotland there is supposed to be some news coming about them moving towards equal marriage rights too (didn't quite catch that one's detail!). And the Out4Marriage.org- Love is the same, straight or gay, that's why we're Out4Marriage viral campaign has also been launched (yesterday - basically "It Gets Better" but in support of equal marriage rights).

Amazing how the same discussion is happening both sides of the pond at the same time - hopefully they reach there natural conclusion by 2016 on both sides of the Atlantic (i.e. by the end of the next presidential term in the US and current parliament in the UK)...