1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobia is ingrained in straight culture

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by ArcherySet, May 13, 2012.

1. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

I was out last night on the popular club strip here in my city. Its the one place where the number of bars is nearly equal to the number of buildings. While my time on the street was brief (only hopped 2 bars), I heard a lot of homophobic slurs being tossed around.

Young men spilling out of bars, engaging other males with their puffy chests and posturing, and calling one another "F _ _ _ _ _ _ faggots". My straight friend and I passed by these two very angry, roided Ed Hardy looking douche bags. We were smiling and chatting, they were looking as though they were trying to take up as much space on the sidewalk as possible.

As we passed them, they got no more than 5 feet behind us and the biggest, constipated, dumbest looking one angrily uttered that popular phrase "F _ _ _ _ _ _ faggots", and honestly, as much as I frown upon violence towards others, I wanted to do to him what we later witnessed in a bar brawl. Some guy was knocked to the ground in a scrap, and some loser kicked him in the face. I just wanted to smash into him with my boot and watch him beg and bleed.

While he easily outweighed me by 60LBS (and my friend by maybe 20LBS) and probably thought he could mop the floor with us, my friend is actually a trained kick boxer and is very strong for his size. I did not feel threatened, but I did feel like this losers unwarranted verbal attack required some fist to mouth action to remedy. I guess I'm still angry about it and just have to get it out. It's been a while since I was called that word, and I'm at a point in my life where I don't feel like turning the other cheek. I feel like busting them open and seeing the true measure of these 'men' that think they're so tough and so straight.

It just seems like I've been constantly bombarded with homophobia my whole life, be it directly or indirectly, and it hasn't gotten better, and it always the same old story. Some self important, bloated, sexually frustrated, windbag thinks he can assert is manhood by randomly verbally attacking someone with sexuality. Even being on the fringe of a conversation where someone is being insulted in such a way makes me angry. Its like little boys, even if they are never taught how to throw a proper punch, they're educated in homophobia.

#1 ArcherySet, May 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2012
  2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Depending on what we mean by straight culture, I would be inclined to agree.

3. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

Sorry if the title of the thread is a little misleading. I just can't be bothered to research any examples beyond my experience last night.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's actually more than just homophobia. Men are thought (rightly or wrongly) to be belligerent, and that offensive posture, or perceived offensive posture, produces a very defensive posture from men. That's how you get a lot of homophobia and also on occasion, non-homophobic emasculation. (Yes, there really is such a thing; I have seen it.) What it all comes down to is that the worst thing for a man to be is a woman.

I think that Amit Taneja was right when he said "Homophobia is a small room in the hotel of sexism." Homophobia, or at least homophobia directed at cis- and trans-men, is based in misogyny, and it is only by fighting that culture that homophobia can ever be eradicated.