1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If Same-Sex Marriage Is so Popular, Why Does It Always Lose at the Ballot Box?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, May 15, 2012.

1. Dan82

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Quite an intriguing and well thought out article...not sure what else I have to stay right now.

3. kris B

Now that is a question everyone wonders about. From the data in the article, it seems that Washington and Maine would approve marriage bills this year. I hope that prediction turns out to be correct.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I hear that the slight majority of Americans support same-sex marriage, but that's extrapolating from numerous small samples. While the data are statistically significant and we can be fairly confident on the figures, this doesn't mean that the slight majority of Americans are distributed evenly throughout the states.

5. Rob999

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    There are some really stupid comments on there...

6. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't get it. At first Obama was against it, Then for it, then against it, then OK with it and now not really for it, but neither is he against it either. If you want to talk about confusing getting to terms about sexuality I think Obama is even more confused!!!!

7. Censored

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think the marriage license should be abolished. I shouldn't have to get permission to get married from any government. Contracts can be used to determine most of the legal stuff. At least in the US, marriage was always dealt with as a private, social matter in the churches. Yet soon interracial marriages occurred, and governments began to require marriage licenses to prevent miscegenation. Licenses like this are always meant to exclude people from voluntarily associating with each other in some way.

8. RealityCheck

This is how I kinda feel. I mean even outside of gay marriage, I don't like the fact that there are differences made between single and married people. People should be able to make contracts recognized by the gov't and taxation be fair and balanced to all. I don't like social engineering. This even happens in the corporate world. An example would be my health insurance. Coworkers with 10 kids pay the same amount as I do by myself. I think I would like to pay higher taxes just to have a fair system that I can understand. The tax code is ridiculous.

9. Censored

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree completely. One of the purposes of government in the first place is to enforce private contracts. I feel like all these different tax incentives and breaks are social engineering projects and its just absurd. I come from a family of 6, and my parents marital status and the kids they have give us good tax breaks that really help us. But I would MUCH rather have EVERYONE get those tax breaks. Whenever I say I want to get rid of the marriage license, people respond "then how will married couples get the tax benefits?" and I just think everyone should get them. Plus, if you are getting married just for the tax benefits, there is something wrong there, IMO.

And the tax code is a complete joke. It would be laughable if it weren't so atrocious.

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Unfortunately, between economic interventionist democrats and social interventionist republicans, libertopia will not become a reality. People don't let go of their privilege, so there's no way that we can bring about marriage equality from the backend by getting rid of state-sponsored marriage.