1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Argentina Approves Transgender Law

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Bird, May 15, 2012.

1. Bird

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This is really awesome news!

You can read about it here: Argentina Approves Transgender Rights Legislation

Also:
    So this is a huge step forward for trans* rights. I couldn't find it anywhere in the forum, and since this is such a huge leap forward for trans* rights, I had to share it with all of you.

It is too bad my country makes it so ridiculously hard for those who need to transition - especially since many have to pay for the expense out of pocket since the insurances refuse to cover it. So I hope this leap forward in Argentina can help push forward more legislation in other countries to give trans* people the rights they deserve as human beings worthy of love, respect, and dignity.

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's quite huge for Argentina isn't it? I'm a little behind on Argentina and LGBT laws.

3. Bird

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes. They've done a huge turn around lately, though recently they did turn from a dictatorship (I think? The Catholic Church heavily influenced that) to a democracy.

Recently they allowed gay marriage and passed protections for LGBT people - I think that passed a year or so ago? Still it's pretty awesome. I think they're one of the first countries to go this far with trans* rights.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is a big fucking deal.

5. Atticus

See, this would be totally helpful if the US could adopt such positive views. Suicide rates would drastically decrease for one thing. Employee happiness would improve. People would be generally less hateful towards each other out of fear or resentment or something else. Argentina is setting a great example and I'd really like to see how this plays out for all their citizens and how long all these laws stay in place.

6. Rob999

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    And it was unanimous... amazing! :grin: