1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pride funding in peril as Queers Against Israeli Apartheid plans to march

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, May 17, 2012.

1. Dan82

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...aeli-apartheid-plans-to-march/article2435034/

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ugh...honestly this crap again? We had some of these protesters at a Israel on Campus culture day at my university, they came in with duct tape across their mouths and holding signs like "Holocaust = Never Again". Honestly groups like this have no right to be in the parade. Wow I know, sooooo bad of me to say, but honestly QuAIA has nothing to do with gay pride, it's just a group of people who want to spread their disapproval against Apartheid and while I don't really care about the issue either way, I don't see the reason for them to be part of the gay pride parade. Unless someone would like to explain how Against Apartheid has something to do with Gay Pride aside from it being Queers against it.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe the protest is against pinkwashing, which is ostensibly a strategy used by Israel to distract everyone from it's foreign policy by focusing on its pro-queer policies. While I think the link to queer issues is limited at best, I understand that what they are protesting is political co-optation of their struggles.

Also, I think they should be allowed to march, mostly because people need to understand that queers are not one big happy family. There are in fact differences of moral philosophy held by rational human beings.

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

If the group isn't a hate group and if they don't violate the city’s anti-discrimination policy, then they should be allow to march just like every other group.

Ummm was that not the main purpose of pride? Have groups not used pride before in order to protest unfair laws?

I'm really hoping that they don't make the group step out.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Meh ok, like I said, I'm not on either side, but also it's because I have not done research into it. Hence the neutral stance, though slight frustration over that. I'd be the same if it had been Israel on Campus protesting the Palestine Campus group if they were to do a culture day at my university. Though I suppose one could say it's no different than protests we hold at anti-gay rallies...though same time I fail to see a similarity.