1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baby Steps in Africa

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by SkyDiver, May 18, 2012.

1. SkyDiver

2. DryOasis

DryOasis Guest

By baby steps I think you mean little, tiny, microscopic baby steps. I live in South Africa, a relatively gay-friendly country compared to others, and although our constitution is against discrimination based on your sexual orientation and gay marriage is legal everywhere, a lot still has to be done. But any progress is good progress.

The laws don't mean much when people have their beliefs which tell them otherwise.

There is a widely held misconception that acceptance of homosexuality is a Western idealogy. I think much of it has to do with the fact that when different colonies from Europe took over centuries ago they introduced Christianity (and Islam by the Arabs). Lots of people then had modifications to their cultures to support their new religion, one of them being a strong stance against homosexuality. Many people carry this stance today. The attitudes towards homosexuality in Africa before colonialism isn't well documented, but from what was found it wasn't as taboo and prohibited as in the West and Arabia, but its level of acceptance varied over different parts. But I don't like looking at the ancient world for too much guidance because at the same time all over the world there were also things like witch hunts and cannibalism.

Many people also have an aversion to new ideas brought in by the West because of historical mistrust (colonialism, slavery, apartheid, etc.). So when politicians in America and Europe ask them to change behaviour towards gay people it falls on deaf ears.

I think real solutions will be reached when people WORLDWIDE start to use reasoning instead of religion to guide them. Stop going to church and start reading!

3. RebelD

I agree with DryOasis. We have a long way to go. But in SA we have Cape Town, which in my opinion should be seen as an example for the rest of Africa, SA included. Cape Town is probably the most accepting of lgbt people in Africa. But we live in a very conservative and religious country and ignorance rules the day. Though it is good to hear that change is taking place, even if it is at the current pace. :eusa_clap