Empty Closets Coming Out Resources and a Safe Place to Chat
Welcome Forum Chat Room Resources News Members

Go Back   Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out > General Chat > Current Events, World News, & LGBT News

Current Events, World News, & LGBT News A news forum for posting and discussing news topics regarding the latest breaking news, stories from around the world, and any LGBT related news updates that you and others may find interesting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19th May 2012, 07:23 PM   #1
EC Addict

Orientation: More gay than Bi
Out Status: Not hiding but not many people know

Tournaments Won: 2

Default Obama not invited when Rep. Frank marries longtime partner

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...ngtime-partner

Quote:
Although Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) earlier this month said he is “pleased” with President Obama’s decision to publicly support same-sex marriage, in a new interview the congressman revealed the president will not be on the guest list when Frank marries his longtime partner this summer.

“If he and Michelle wanted to come, I would be delighted and honored to have him, but he will bring the Secret Service,” Frank said in an interview that will air Sunday as part of C-SPAN’s “Newsmaker” series. “I would be flattered to have the president do that, [but] it would ruin the party to have the Secret Service. I’m not critical of them, but they can go take their layered protection of the president somewhere else. Not to my party...

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...ngtime-partner
Dan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 09:47 PM   #2
EC Addict

Orientation: Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
Out Status: Out to everyone

Default Re: Obama not invited when Rep. Frank marries longtime partner

Understandable. This isn't a big deal in my opinion, this is more just a case of personal feelings, and I'd be the same way. I'd love to have Obama and Michelle to my wedding, but I don't want the Secret Service frisking every guest as they enter, no thank-you.
Revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 10:11 PM   #3
Neko Boy

The Secret Service is a respectable, necessary institution and shouldn't really get the blame here.

If anything, it's just the reality that the POTUS needs that extra layer of security, and he should probably highlight that instead of singling out the Secret Service.
Old 19th May 2012, 10:15 PM   #4
EC Addict

Orientation: Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

True, and by no means am I saying Secret Service is bad, I think they are very admirable. While they shouldn't be solidly blamed or singled out, but I still think it's true that it could be cause for not inviting Obama. Yes there's of course concern of him being attacked at any point really, but still...it makes sense to prevent disruption to his wedding which is what could occur.
Revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 12:06 AM   #5
This space for lease.

Orientation: I like guys

Nothing wrong with not inviting someone to your wedding. A wedding is a very personal thing, really you can have any reason you want for inviting or not inviting someone.

The secret service thing is a good way to save face for not inviting the President.
All the problems of the world could be settled easily if men were only willing to think. The trouble is that men very often resort to all sorts of devices in order not to think, because thinking is such hard work.
--Thomas J. Watson
starfish is offline   Reply With Quote