1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obama and LGBT video

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by MusicMan12, May 23, 2012.

1. MusicMan12

I don't know if this has been posted already, but this is amazing and I urge everyone to share it with everyone they know! I can't tell you how much it means to see a president of the united states be this supportive!
    President Obama and the Fight for LGBT Rights - YouTube

2. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Despite it being LGBT, he has very little to say about the T. Just another example on how transgender rights are just something tacked on as an after thought to the LGB movement. I'll continue to fight for LGB rights, but I just hope my rights don't get forgotten.

3. RealityCheck

I liked this very much. Thanks for sharing the link.

4. LailaForbidden

I will always support you! (*hug*)(*hug*)

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Trans folks are hella marginalized in the queer movement, and I acknowledge that. You do have some cis allies here!

I wish we'd fight harder for trans rights than gay and lesbian rights to be honest, because I think it more directly confronts the problem behind homophobia, which is sexism and the gender binary.

#5 Pret Allez, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012
  6. Linthras

Linthras Guest

^This^
    Great video, let's hope he get's reelected and keeps his promises.

#6 Linthras, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012
  7. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Let's not...

8. Loras

This isnt a dig on trans, but isnt fighting for gay rights going to do the same for you? I mean if you change M-F and still like men then you get the rights of a straight person or if you go F-M and like men then you get the rights of a gay person?
    Sorry if your offended, i might be missing something i dont know anthing about the rights of transgender people and im genuinly curious to know the battles you face aswell!!

9. Linthras

Linthras Guest

You'd rather have Romney as president?!?
    I mean Im not saying Obama is the ideal president, heck the Democratic party is to right for my taste, but better him than Romney right?

---------- Post added 24th May 2012 at 11:21 AM ----------

I thnik, the point is that Transgender people and issues keep getting ignored, as they are in this video.

10. sguyc

Why? What about Obama's platform is better than Romney's? What do you think Romney would have done differently if he was president the last four years?

11. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Well on this subject specifically: oppose SSM with all possible means.
    Also opposed to abortion, evolution denyer and several other things that are so ridiculous I'm still amazed he's a presidential candidate for the Republican party.

12. Aldrick

That's an easy question to answer. Had Romney or McCain been President instead of Obama...

- Don't Ask, Don't Tell would still be the law of the land.

- The Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act wouldn't have been signed into law. This act expanded federal hate crime laws to include crimes motivated by gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity.

- Obama has ordered the Department of Health and Human Services to guarantee medical decision making and visitation rights to LGBT couples.

- Obama directed the Department of Justice to stop defending the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), on the grounds that it is unconstitutional.

- He expanded the Family Medical Leave Act to ensure that LGBT parents and partners can legally take leave from work to care for their child, parent, or spouse - something that is afforded to every other family in America. (This means that if the child of your partner gets sick, or your partner gets sick, you can now take legal medical leave from work to care for them.)

- He signed the Ryan White HIV/AIDS Treatment Extension Act.

- He changed U.S. International Policy by signing the United Nations Declaration on Gay Rights, which condemns violence based on sexual orientation and gender identity worldwide. (This is important when dealing with countries such as Iran and Uganda.)

- Extended the Fair Housing Act by adding gender identity and expression.

- Ordered a change in State Department policy so that transgendered Americans can more easily obtain passports that reflect their true gender and ensure that same-sex married couples can use their legally married name on official State Department documents.

- He completely banned job discrimination based on gender identity and sexual orientation throughout the entire federal government.

- He advocated and supported the Domestic Partnership Benefits and Obligations Act which was designed to provide full partnership benefits to federal employees.

- He convened the first White House Conference on Bullying Prevention by forming the Inter-agency Council on Bullying Prevention. He allocated resources to the project, which a huge part was dedicated to fighting the bullying of LGBT youth.

- He also increased funding to make schools safer, suicide prevention, and HIV/AIDS education as well as access to medication for LGBT Americans.

- He completely eliminated a Census Bureau policy that kept LGBT relationships from being counted, and for the first time encouraged couples who considered themselves married to file that way and urged transgendered Americans to identify as their true gender.

- He supported the Employment Non-Discrimination Act.

- He ordered the Department of Health and Human Services to award the largest grant in U.S. History to a LGBT organization to help combat LGBT youth in the foster care system and homelessness. (LGBT youth make up anywhere from 15% to 20% of the homeless youth in this country.)

- He lifted the discriminatory ban on entry to the United States based on HIV status.

I didn't even bother to include all the symbolic stuff, like the various awards he's given to LGBT activists in recognition of their service, his support of Pride Month, and the various Pride Proclamations the White House has made. I also didn't bother to mention all the LGBT people he's hired to work at various levels of the Federal Government - the most in American history.

I also didn't bother to mention the fact that he is the first President in the history of the United States to support marriage equality.

As well, I didn't bother to mention how badly things would look for us in the Supreme Court when it comes to marriage equality. Had Romney or McCain been President they would have appointed two Supreme Court Justices.

So... in closing, has Obama been perfect? No. But to say, to even hint, that Obama hasn't been the most LGBT supportive President in the ENTIRE history of the United States, is just factually wrong. To even hint that there is no difference between Romney and Obama when it comes to LGBT issues is just blatantly false.

Mitt Romney doesn't even understand his own policy. He claims that he is in favor of letting the states decide marriage equality, and that he doesn't think it is a federal issue. Yet, in the same breath he supports a Federal Constitutional Amendment to ban gay marriage... which federalizes the issue.

He's done pretty much everything he can do to support the LGBT community, the only thing that was lacking was his support of marriage equality. That was purely symbolic, of course, since his administration was already no longer defending DOMA on the grounds that it is unconstitutional.

So, what has the President NOT done or supported that you wish he had done or supported?

13. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While that is a LOT of great things, and I want Obama to win. I think the Republican people on this board like Mike and them, are not going to take into account your comments on LGBT rights and such. Personally I will because I'm NDP in Canada, so I suppose Democrat in America...sorta lol. But they're going to make some comments about economy, and Obamacare, and a bunch of other things they mind-boggingly think are bad things. Just saying Aldrick, you make a lot of great points, but just be prepared for people like Mike, etc, to make a whole bunch of reasons why Obama "sucks".

14. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I absolutely would take Romney over Obama.

---------- Post added 24th May 2012 at 12:57 PM ----------

And what's wrong with that?

---------- Post added 24th May 2012 at 12:59 PM ----------

Yeah, typically what occurs on a message board is that people give their opinions/facts and debate those opinions.

I'm sorry if you dislike that.

15. lazyboy

lazyboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Part of me feels I don't really have a right to comment since I'm not american, but I fear that if Romney wins the election, most of the things listed above will go up in a puff of smoke. It's no secret that majority of the Republican Party is dead-set against LGBT rights in general. If they return to the White House, the hate-mongers will step in too.

16. Keelin

Well technically they are still there. The republicans have majority inside the House of Representatives, but that's about it. The senate is a majority of democrats. I do agree though, it seems like they aren't there because of Obama, but he is just the public face really.

17. Linthras

Linthras Guest

What;s wrong with opposing abortion is that it's not his place to decide, it should be left up to the mother, up to a certain term of course.
    I still cannot fathom how you would favour someone who thinks of you as someone who made a bad choice and opposes some very basic rights for you and everyone here on this forum. Regardless of what other points he might have.
    He basically thinks we're sub-human.
    Again, as I said Obama nor the DP is perfect in my eyes, but a better choice regarding LGBT matters (or several other social matters) than Romney and/or the Republican party.

#17 Linthras, May 24, 2012
    Last edited: May 24, 2012
  18. Travel Tech

From what I've heard, the house is pretty much up for grabs this election. As far as Obama goes, I'd say I like him, but could definitely imagine a better president. I'm basically team "OH GOD NO, NOT ROMNEY, PLEASE NO!"

19. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I strongly disagree with your position on abortion. In my opinion, aborting any child is just essentially running away from your problems. If the female was raped or if having the child could be harmful/deadly to her health, then that's a different circumstance.

I don't want to derail this thread too much. But as I have said many times before on this forum, though I don't agree with Romney's stance on us, it's his opinion. I mean, my parents and many others don't agree with gay marriage and other issues pertaining to gays/bisexuals, but that doesn't mean they're bad people.

But when it comes to the most important issue of this country, which is the economy (to me, anyway), I believe that Romney has a far better grasp than Obama. I'm not sure this country can take another four years of Obama's warped economic policies. And I won't even get into the rest of Obama's massive flaws.

Romney definitely isn't perfect, but I believe he is the best choice for America.

Sorry for getting a little off topic.

#19 Mike92, May 24, 2012
    Last edited: May 24, 2012
  20. Travel Tech

Obama certainly hasn't stopped unemployment and fixed the economy, but he is making things better. Unemployment has slowed. I'm sure you've seen this graph...
    [​IMG]

And I'll bet you've also seen this one in response...

[​IMG]

That second graph is still positive for Obama though. Although unemployment has gone up, it would be unrealistic for anyone to expect it to simply reverse. If Obama gets re-elected, I'd expect the graph to begin curving upward. If Romney gets elected, I'd expect the Bush trend to resume.