1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Man says Ore. psychiatrist told him he wasn’t gay

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, May 24, 2012.

1. Dan82

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2012/may/24/us-gay-to-straight/

2. Zontar

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I think the psychiatrist is thinking the man only thinks he's gay when he's actually not. He could've been led to this conclusion by anything...e.g. being told that the man had fleeting heterosexual desires, for example.

I don't know what the man's true sexuality is, but this could be just what the psychiatrist concluded. And almost all of us have had experiences with crap therapists who come to the entirely wrong conclusions. If he's not satisfied with his approach, he should probably move onto another.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Conversion will become more popular as the country becomes more conservative" wtf is the psychiatrist smoking?

4. 55

When I first stared going to counseling after my wife found out I had cheated on her with men, my therapist told me I didn't fit the stereotype of being gay. I don't know if I lead him to that conclusion by the things I told him about my youth, but I was so happy to hear that I may not be gay that I decided to give my marriage another try. That lasted for a couple years. I was faithful, but not fulfilled.

Another counselor helped my ex and I communicate better and we still tried to save the marriage. My ex could never get over what I had done with men, though, and neither could I. I came out to my counselor and she was fantastic in helping both my ex and me move on to the current phase of our lives - divorced but friendly.

My point is, counselors can only make judgements based on what we tell them. Unfortunately it sounds like in this case, he was trying to force a conclusion. Travesty!

5. Zontar

Purely objectively, that would probably happen *if* society were headed in the direction of being more conservative. Clearly though, that is not the case.

6. Afraida

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Not too much information is given there about what Hirsch had originally told the psychiatrist.

Crazy scenario where the shrink is right: Hirsch has split personalities, one that's straight, and another that believes he's gay.

In that scenario the shrink would have had every right to say that. I'm not saying that Hirsch isn't gay, I'm just saying it's possible the shrink is right.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately, the field of psychiatry is absolutely full of incompetence.

Psychiatrists don't receive anywhere near the depth of training in psychological issues of this type that social workers and psychologists receive. Instead, their focus is on pathology and serious mental illness (schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, dissociative identity disorders, various other things) that are best treated with medications.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people will choose to go to a psychiatrist, since a psychiatrist is an MD, assuming that because s/he is an MD, s/he will be better trained to deal with mental health issues. It simply isn't the case.

As for the split personality thing: No, there's no way. Not if the psychiatrist is remotely competent. If Hirsch had DID, the therapist would have a hell of a lot more to be talking about than Hirsch's sports failures and relationships with men.

I suspect this psychiatrist is just ignorant and bigoted.

8. J Snow

I'm not quite sure why a psychiatrist would even be doing that sort of therapy. As Chip said, it seems like something more fit for a psychologist instead. If they discovered some sort of serious mental disorder that would require medication then they should have been recommended to a psychiatrist *shrug*

9. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    He can get a job at one of Bachmann's clinics.